DGT Sounds midrangy

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Domingo Lantigua, May 16, 2020.

1. Domingo Lantigua

Domingo Lantigua New Member

Is it me , or does the DGT treble pickup sound extra midrangy or honky? It sounds almost like a cocked wha.
    Just wondering?
    Thanks

2. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I have also heard it called "wooly" I would say its a bit more mid heavy , or just darker than some of my other PRS but I seem to be headed that way sound wise as I have McCartys in my CU22 also. When I got my DGT it have Mira pickups in it and it did sound killer, I just had to try it stock for awhile when I got a chance to get some DGT pickups.

bodia and dogrocketp like this.
  3. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

I’ve always noticed that some guitars inherently sound very honky with a natural “Wah”. You can hear it acoustically especially clearly when fretting the treble strings on the 1st to 5th fret. It’s a pleasing pleasant tone to me, that strikes me as sounding “woody”. Take any recent Gibson custom shop Reissue Les Paul, or Mccarty 594, play it acoustically and chances are that you’ll hear it very distinctly.

4. swede71

swede71 Tja ba!Läget?

It must be you ;).Compared to what?My DGT is very bright and open sounding.I go with PRS recommendations and set my pickup height at 3/32s for both pickups.Try to set amp or ampsimulation Eq to 12 o’clock as a starter.Dont use more gain than you need.Are you still using 11s?.I use 9s and that makes it a little thinner in the bass of course.

bodia likes this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Amp. Use a different one with neutralized EQ and compare.

Next, open the control cover and make sure something isn’t shorting one of the legs of the tone pot.

Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  6. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

DGT = Woolley for me

7. Domingo Lantigua

Domingo Lantigua New Member

Everything goods under the hood. Must be me, I guess I gotta get use to its distinctive tone. It's not a horrible tone, it's just different

8. markd21

markd21 New Member

When I had my DGT I felt the same way. The tone was different. I actually preferred the single coil sounds and almost used it it that way exclusively.

Domingo Lantigua likes this.
  9. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

When I play it with a BF Super Reverb it sounds just right, but then that amp doesn't have a whole lot of mid-range so they complement each other.

markd21 and Domingo Lantigua like this.