DGT, Santana, 513, McCarty RW - What Next?

vami

Hello fellow Birds & Moons,

I am a rather newbie to fantastic PRS world, coming primarily from Les Paul land.

Have recently acquired these aforementioned beauties and want to go for next one, I'm in splits about buying a Custom 24 especially so as I have never played owned or seriously evaluated a 24 fret guitar (except Santana of course)

513 is my favorite followed closely by DGT.
Santana is limited in its abilities.
McCarty kills a Les Paul beautifully!

Help me decided on the next model to have in the collection for Rock Fusion, Blues & Clean Stuff :
Custom 24, Custom 22, 408, 509 etc ??

Musically,
VaMi

Hmm...based on the above, I’d lean into a Vela next. Or, try a new Custom 22...2 less frets but a different experience from the DGT/McCarty. Great start!

That depends on the price point or series of PRS you are looking to add to your collection - SE, S2, Bolt-on or Core+. It also depends on whar you are hoping to add from a tonal perspective and what music you play.

The most obvious choice would be the Silver Sky looking at what you have as you don't appear to have a Strat type option. Your 513 can be a bit stratty but not as Stratty as a strat. Your guitars have most of the double humbucker LP like tones. The Custom 24 though offers something a different due to the position of the neck PU in relation to the bridge - its closer than a LP type. Your DGT and McCarty do cover the LP type really well although a 594 is more of a Vintage LP and has the same double volume and tone (with individual coil splits) which can make blending the two Pick-ups more varied depending on the tone/volume setting for either PU. Most other Guitars are really on the same theme as a LP but with various options and slight differences.

The 408, Pauls, Custom 22 etc are all LP type guitars BUT with the different tonal options that the different PU's offer so really expanding on the LP theme. The 509 is a more modern version of the 513 but does make setting up the guitar as a HSS for example easier because if the mini toggles. To switch from a neck SC to a bridge HB takes 2 switches on a 513 but, if you set the guitar up as a HSS before the song, you can quickly flick the 5 way switch. Its still a bit like the 513 though with slightly different sounds from the new but similar 509 PU's.

Really the best option would be the Silver Sky as that is the most different option and Strats are used in every genre of music inc the music styles you listed. The next most different is probably the Custom 24. If you want a great Hollowbody - another guitar that really fits in the styles of music - then I would recommend the HBii with Piezo to add a bit of chime or more acoustic type sound. The HB594 would also fit of course but you won't get the Piezo chime with that. A 594 soapbar would give you a p90 option too...

Again though, it really depends on what you are looking for in particular and price point/series

Thanks Guys,

Looking only at core option
Not hollowbody as I’m happy with 335.

I want to lean more towards Custom 24 but need feedback on kind of playing doable in it compared to other PRS 22 guitars

Not looking to buy Silver Sky as for strats covered and very happy there.

Let me know feedback on CU24.

Thanks,

Hello fellow Birds & Moons,

I am a rather newbie to fantastic PRS world, coming primarily from Les Paul land.

Have recently acquired these aforementioned beauties and want to go for next one, I'm in splits about buying a Custom 24 especially so as I have never played owned or seriously evaluated a 24 fret guitar (except Santana of course)

513 is my favorite followed closely by DGT.
Santana is limited in its abilities.
McCarty kills a Les Paul beautifully!

Help me decided on the next model to have in the collection for Rock Fusion, Blues & Clean Stuff :
Custom 24, Custom 22, 408, 509 etc ??

Musically,
VaMi

something semihollow with a trem.

Thanks Guys,

I want to lean more towards Custom 24 but need feedback on kind of playing doable in it compared to other PRS 22 guitars

Thanks,
Ignore “kind of playing” thoughts for a 24 fret guitar. I’m no shredder and a CU24 was my first. Played rock, prog, country, 50s, pit band, you name it. It does it all if your mind doesn’t limit you. It’s what launched PRS and is still their #1 model.

Also, just because the Vela is technically an S2, don’t snob it out of contention. It is a sleeper in the PRS family and is one of the most unique and individual models they make. I choose it over everything else I have, frequently.

Thanks Guys,

Thanks,

Both the Hollowbody (especially with Piezo) and Silver Sky are quite different from a 335 and Strat although the Silver Sky is closer than the HB is to a 335. The Solver Sky is a 63/64 strat and individually treated when it comes to the electronics to ensure they are the same. Not every SS has the same capacitors (I believe). I can understand though why you thunk you have the Strat covered but I do think the HB is different enough and with the added Piezo offers more than other HB guitars. Both worth looking at though.

The Custom 24 is a quintessential PRS. Its the guitar that launched PRS to the world and the most PRS sounding guitar. Its a modern sounding and feeling double humbucker instrument and comes with the thinner neck compared to the others. Its not Wizard thin though and not that much thinner than a regular - not enough for me to be overly different but different enough to noticeable when compared. Obviously, being a 24 fret neck and joining the neck at around the 22nd fret, you can reach the 22nd fret easier than a standard 22fret guitar but that's a minor difference in my opinion but for some, that's still useful. The big difference though is really the position of the bridge and how that changes the neck tone - making it a bit brighter than a 22 fret with the same PU's. The Custom 22 is more like a Modern LP type with a trem and the extra options the 5way allows. Like the Custom 24, its a slimmer body too. If you are moving from most LP to most PRS the Custom 24 would be the most PRS with the 594 most LP. The McCarty, as you know, is the next step after the 594 and the Custom 22 would fall between the McCarty and Custom 24 - if you can picture that.

If you go for a Custom 22, that would be a modern step up from a McCarty and the Custom 24 would be the next step to the more PRS sound. It really depends more on what you want. The 594 would be a step back in time, being a more vintage sounding instrument to the McCarty with the Custom 22 bringing a more modern flavour. The Custom 24 is more of a PRS flavour to the modern Custom 22 - that's the way the core models are placed.

The 408, 509 and Pauls' are 'Speciality' instruments in that they don't really fit in the same line as the Core. By that, I mean they don't slot in to the chronological (sound from Vintage to Modern) and style (from LP type to PRS) in the same way. These also are instruments that you buy because modifying isn't easy if at all possible - like your 513 for example. That sets these apart from the others above. Paul's is a Signature model too so belongs in that category too like the DGT and Tremonti. The 408 and Paul's are more traditional in their sound (because of the double humbucker and spacing) but with own twist and both have the mini toggle splitting. I have already said the 509 is very similar to the 513 inc the same scale length too so maybe too close to what you have.

Considering your opinion on the SS and HB guitars, really the next 'core' that is most different is the Custom 24. The other guitars are 22 fret models that are similar to your DGT and McCarty with the 594 being more vintage than you have and the Custom 22 more modern. The 408 and Pauls have their own twist on the 22 fret model. It really depends on what you are looking for and 'vibe' too - whether you want more modern or Vintage, more PRS or more of a LP with some 'twist' - at least from the current core line-up with Used bringing some more models. The 509 is a 'twist' on the 513 - slightly different PU's, sound and switching so really it depends on the direction you want to go with adding more PRS to your collection. That 'direction' could be a different Strat type or Hollowbody type adding in a Piezo too of course. Point is, the direction you wish to go from what you have to what you want/need is up to you. For example - want a more vintage sound/feel than the McCarty, the 594 is the guitar, more vintage strat - the SS, more modern LP - Custom 22, more PRS guitar - Custom 24, more LP with a twist but little option to modify - 408 or Pauls, HB with the option to blend in, split to 2 different Amps or use to get a more Acoustic sound - the HBii, want more of an Vintage feel HB with options to split coils - HB594, want something slightly different with independent HB splitting than the 513 - the 509.

You have directions you can go from ALL guitars you own. there are multiple PRS guitars available you can buy new in numerous directions from your starting point, the guitars you own. It really does depend on you and which 'direction' you are looking to add, looking to fill or expand the options you have in some way. In fairness, with the guitars you mentioned in your original post, the most logical is the Strat or HB options - hence I recommended these more but the SS may or may not be too much of a step from your current Strat but only you know if its worth checking out at this point as I know many Strat players that thought they had the 'strat' they wanted until they tried a SS. The HBii isn't quite the same as a 335 so don't make the mistake of thinking that it is or dismiss the Piezo as that can really add something when either blended with the magnetic pups, split off to its own Acoustic amp/PA or used on its own to give you an Electro-Acoustic type option - some great tunes have acoustic opening sounds or an acoustic in a different channel. The ability to add more chime to a magnetic HB pup sound is also very useful. I maybe mentioning these two a bit much but all I am saying is don't dismiss them thinking they are just another Strat or like a 335. Maybe its not the direction you are looking for right now - which I totally understand - but I hope you find this useful in determining which direction you prefer to move in at this time.

Both the Hollowbody (especially with Piezo) and Silver Sky are quite different from a 335 and Strat although the Silver Sky is closer than the HB is to a 335. The Solver Sky is a 63/64 strat and individually treated when it comes to the electronics to ensure they are the same. Not every SS has the same capacitors (I believe). I can understand though why you thunk you have the Strat covered but I do think the HB is different enough and with the added Piezo offers more than other HB guitars. Both worth looking at though.

The Custom 24 is a quintessential PRS. Its the guitar that launched PRS to the world and the most PRS sounding guitar. Its a modern sounding and feeling double humbucker instrument and comes with the thinner neck compared to the others. Its not Wizard thin though and not that much thinner than a regular - not enough for me to be overly different but different enough to noticeable when compared. Obviously, being a 24 fret neck and joining the neck at around the 22nd fret, you can reach the 22nd fret easier than a standard 22fret guitar but that's a minor difference in my opinion but for some, that's still useful. The big difference though is really the position of the bridge and how that changes the neck tone - making it a bit brighter than a 22 fret with the same PU's. The Custom 22 is more like a Modern LP type with a trem and the extra options the 5way allows. Like the Custom 24, its a slimmer body too. If you are moving from most LP to most PRS the Custom 24 would be the most PRS with the 594 most LP. The McCarty, as you know, is the next step after the 594 and the Custom 22 would fall between the McCarty and Custom 24 - if you can picture that.

If you go for a Custom 22, that would be a modern step up from a McCarty and the Custom 24 would be the next step to the more PRS sound. It really depends more on what you want. The 594 would be a step back in time, being a more vintage sounding instrument to the McCarty with the Custom 22 bringing a more modern flavour. The Custom 24 is more of a PRS flavour to the modern Custom 22 - that's the way the core models are placed.

The 408, 509 and Pauls' are 'Speciality' instruments in that they don't really fit in the same line as the Core. By that, I mean they don't slot in to the chronological (sound from Vintage to Modern) and style (from LP type to PRS) in the same way. These also are instruments that you buy because modifying isn't easy if at all possible - like your 513 for example. That sets these apart from the others above. Paul's is a Signature model too so belongs in that category too like the DGT and Tremonti. The 408 and Paul's are more traditional in their sound (because of the double humbucker and spacing) but with own twist and both have the mini toggle splitting. I have already said the 509 is very similar to the 513 inc the same scale length too so maybe too close to what you have.

Considering your opinion on the SS and HB guitars, really the next 'core' that is most different is the Custom 24. The other guitars are 22 fret models that are similar to your DGT and McCarty with the 594 being more vintage than you have and the Custom 22 more modern. The 408 and Pauls have their own twist on the 22 fret model. It really depends on what you are looking for and 'vibe' too - whether you want more modern or Vintage, more PRS or more of a LP with some 'twist' - at least from the current core line-up with Used bringing some more models. The 509 is a 'twist' on the 513 - slightly different PU's, sound and switching so really it depends on the direction you want to go with adding more PRS to your collection. That 'direction' could be a different Strat type or Hollowbody type adding in a Piezo too of course. Point is, the direction you wish to go from what you have to what you want/need is up to you. For example - want a more vintage sound/feel than the McCarty, the 594 is the guitar, more vintage strat - the SS, more modern LP - Custom 22, more PRS guitar - Custom 24, more LP with a twist but little option to modify - 408 or Pauls, HB with the option to blend in, split to 2 different Amps or use to get a more Acoustic sound - the HBii, want more of an Vintage feel HB with options to split coils - HB594, want something slightly different with independent HB splitting than the 513 - the 509.

You have directions you can go from ALL guitars you own. there are multiple PRS guitars available you can buy new in numerous directions from your starting point, the guitars you own. It really does depend on you and which 'direction' you are looking to add, looking to fill or expand the options you have in some way. In fairness, with the guitars you mentioned in your original post, the most logical is the Strat or HB options - hence I recommended these more but the SS may or may not be too much of a step from your current Strat but only you know if its worth checking out at this point as I know many Strat players that thought they had the 'strat' they wanted until they tried a SS. The HBii isn't quite the same as a 335 so don't make the mistake of thinking that it is or dismiss the Piezo as that can really add something when either blended with the magnetic pups, split off to its own Acoustic amp/PA or used on its own to give you an Electro-Acoustic type option - some great tunes have acoustic opening sounds or an acoustic in a different channel. The ability to add more chime to a magnetic HB pup sound is also very useful. I maybe mentioning these two a bit much but all I am saying is don't dismiss them thinking they are just another Strat or like a 335. Maybe its not the direction you are looking for right now - which I totally understand - but I hope you find this useful in determining which direction you prefer to move in at this time.

Thanks Mozzi!
This is very helpful and I will explore other options.

Thanks Mozzi!
This is very helpful and I will explore other options.

With the guitars you have, the most common areas are covered - the Strat, the LP, the Hollowbody for example. You can look at the era these fit - vintage, classic, modern etc so adding something so you can move back or forward to get something different enough despite falling in the same genre of instrument - like owning a 594 for a vintage double humbucker of Custom 22 for a more modern sound. Things like this can add to you tonal palette so don't necessarily think you have a Strat covered for example because there is a 'big' range of strats that fit between vintage to classic to modern and even ones with humbuckers too. It really does depend though on the 'direction' you want to add - not just in terms of the obvious physical differences (5-way instead of 3-way, trem instead of fixed etc) but also in the era guitars are more representative of.

I'd go for a McCarty Singlecut 594 Soapbar, because every collection needs a guitar with P-90's.

750-SC594SBGS_front.jpg

Thanks Guys,

Thanks,
I have two custom 24s and they are great guitars. 1989 with stickered T and B and a 2011 with 5909s. I would not give up either one and could be very happy owning either one as an only guitar.

I think I might go against the grain a bit on this. You have really good coverage with what you have, and if you don’t want a HB, I wouldn’t target an specific model next. I would try things from time to time and wait until something new spoke to me.

I agree with this.

I'd go for a McCarty Singlecut 594 Soapbar, because every collection needs a guitar with P-90's.

750-SC594SBGS_front.jpg

I agree with this, too!

How can they both be right?

Thanks Guys,
Really insightful information.

I think I’ll play few more PRS guitars to decide.

Big fan of the custom 24's. Really fantastic and versatile.

I"m super curious bout the 408 as well, haven't had my hands on one to try yet though.

Back