DGT question

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Ok. I would like to hear from people who have owned both mahogany and maple top DGTs.

What does the all hog model bring to the table that the maple top model doesn't???

I may have an opportunity to pick up a hog DGT locally but I just gotta know.

I really like maple tops but if hog is where it's at on these then I'm in!!!

I only have the maple top DGT, but having both the maple top S2 594 and the all hog S2 594 thinline, all else being the same, I can say I prefer the thinline sound. It is just has a warmer, smoother, mellow/woolly tone, albeit with more pronounced and complex midrange.

I bought my mahogany Standard locally, minty used, at my great local shop back when they came out during that brief window of time. My wife happened to be with me. I played it for about a minute... (I am already pretty thrilled at the tone and responsiveness)... looked up, and she had 'that' look on her face: "What do you want to do?" There were no doubts in either of our minds. The Standard was simply that special and that was that. (Yes, my wife is simply way too supportive!)

A year later, loving my Special so much, I had since decided to also try and find a nice maple-topped DGT. I soon found a beautiful 10-Top 'burst online and bought that one. It was fantastic, too, but it sounded noticeably different (exactly what I'd been hoping for, of course, because who needs two identical-sounding guitars? Not me); the 'burst had a somewhat brighter and twangier tone overall, but of course, along with the best any great PRS offers besides. I love both my DGTs but differently, and in a "house-on-fire" scenario, it would pain me to do so, but I'd be grabbing the Standard, both due to the tones as well as the relative scarcity of that particular species of DGT.

One night, I was playing along to an album just for fun (as I will do every few months or so), and it was ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. I played thru the entire album with my 'burst DGT, and sure, it definitely sounded great, but somehow it was still just a bit too, um, 'toppy' and twangy for me at that moment. Out of curiosity, as well as for fun and practice, I then replayed along to the entire album again but with the Standard and... ahh. Perfect (the tones, not the playing, lol!). IMO, the Standard simply has a slightly earthier, meatier sound to it—at least mine does. Even DG hisself has mentioned the model's differences back when they Standard was released, saying how (IIRC) "it just fits into a mix differently". I would have to agree.

Hopefully, my experiences will tell you something. And yes, I still own and love and play them both. Viva la DGT.

^ Great demonstration! ^

I have the maple one, now I want the all hog version. Both are outstanding in different ways, just like the maple S2 594 vs the all hog S2 594. :)

I only have the maple top DGT, but having both the maple top S2 594 and the all hog S2 594 thinline, all else being the same, I can say I prefer the thinline sound. It is just has a warmer, smoother, mellow/woolly tone, albeit with more pronounced and complex midrange.

"Thinline" ? I didn't know that that is what she wuz doing ... But Yeah ! :)

Back