DGT purchase - new or used?

Ron

I'm seriously wanting a DGT. Still love my CU22 and my 594 has been my go to for almost two years now. But being a huge Grissom fan the DGT keeps coming to mind. I wanted to get some opinions on new vs used. There are great deals out there in used models but I'm curious to know if there are valid reasons (improvements?) to pursue a new one.

The 594 has my favorite neck carve. How would the DGT neck compare to the 594?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or considerations. Thanks!

I was just about to post something like this lol. The search engine doesn't like it when I search DGT haha

As far as I can answer any of your questions, I don't believe PRS gave the DGT the TCI treatment did they? but they are getting the new finish treatment. If you don't mind waiting, I would buy new. I searched a few on reverb, some for ok prices.

I got to play one a few months back (brand new 2020), and I immediately loved the control layout, and the pups sounded amazing. I think the neck carve takes some getting used to though. Others may have more to say comparing it to the 594. It's not so fresh in my memory.

Reactions: Ron
I'm seriously wanting a DGT. Still love my CU22 and my 594 has been my go to for almost two years now. But being a huge Grissom fan the DGT keeps coming to mind. I wanted to get some opinions on new vs used. There are great deals out there in used models but I'm curious to know if there are valid reasons (improvements?) to pursue a new one.

The 594 has my favorite neck carve. How would the DGT neck compare to the 594?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or considerations. Thanks!
Some good info here

prs dgt differences through the years site:forums.prsguitars.com

not sure why that didn’t post as a hyperlink

I was just about to post something like this lol. The search engine doesn't like it when I search DGT haha

DGT* will show you results.

I can't speak to all the changes made over the years. The originals were a nitro finish, which is cool but can be fragile (from what I've read - no issues here, but I do take more care wth that guitar). I don't know if the electronics have been tweaked, but there is a volume drop-off going to single coils on the models before that change - not sure if they've made the change on DGTs or not. The neck carve, to me, is just perfect - the most comfortable neck carve I have. The tone is great. This guitar is definitely a "greater than the sum of its parts" beast.

Some years have neck binding , some not , I don't think they have changed much of note.
I have ZERO issue buying used PRS guitars.
DGT neck is more narrow than the Pattern Vintage , It is a nice round carve and very comfortable
Happy Hunting

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'd prefer new but I don't have a problem with used either. My 594 was a Reverb find, one year old and mint. I ordered the CU22 in 2008 and it was well worth the wait. Interesting comment about the new finish treatment. Is that for the 2020 models? Definitely something to consider.

My avatar guitar is a DGT AP with an ebony board and a rosewood neck. Love the feel and I'm not a fan of binding on PRS at all. Glad Grissom nixed that now.

Not a fan of the original soft nitro either. The early guitars had a soft finish that felt thick and would get gummy/sticky when hot. Total no-go for sweaty gigs. My guitar is a 2013 I think, with the now discontinued finish. Its thin and hard and I really like it. Never gets sticky.

Outside of finish and binding, the DGT's are pretty consistent. I would not have a problem buying the right used one at all.

Back