DGT Pickups are the best PRS pickups!

enigma

Ok, no exaggeration here, and I'm sure some of you would agree readily and that what I'm writing here is no revelation. I just played through my stable of guitars through various amps against my newly acquired DGT Gold Top:

Conclusion:
The DGT pickups are the best pickups ever made by PRS! So good that I'm tempted get another one by trading one of my guitars that need some serious attention! I tried it through 4 amps to make sure it wasn't the amp-guitar combination. The amps are Mesa Boogie Maverick 1x12; Sovtek MIG50; Peavey Classic 30; and Dr. Z Maz 18NR. To be fair I tested only against other humbucker loaded guitars: Custom 22 with EVH; Vintage ESP (48th St) Custom Tele w/ Bare Knuckle Mules; and ME I with RP. Don't get me wrong, the other guitars all sound great depending on the amp it's playing through, but the DGT gives the most satisfying growl with balanced highs and mids with every amp with just the right amount of compression and transparency! - I guess its closest competitor would be a '57 Reissue Les Paul I had a while ago (without the DGT's versatility).

PLUS, the middle position seems really KEY to these pickups. The way the neck and the bridge pickups blend gives off its own flavor of sonic texture that is just very musical and pleasing. To be fair, the neck pickup on its own might be its weakest point. But, if I change out the neck pickup it may affect the middle position too much! AND, the Tremolo/Bridge combination is the best in the business - they produce stop tail tones!

Some of my guitars are not looking into my eyes now as they may be sold or traded for another DGT!!! :)

I agree, the DGT pickups are great. But there might be more to what you're hearing than just the pickups. They have a great character but the fundamental tones come from the guitar itself. If you can find another set of pickups sans guitar, try installing them in another instrument, you might be surprised. Some of the sound is there but a lot of it isn't.

I recently put a DGT through it's paces. I was very pleased with the pups. The guitar was built in 2011 for what that's worth as I've heard they have changed throughout the years. I'd certainly rock them with zero hesitation.

Back