DGT or Custom 24

I have a McCarty that I really like, but I want something with a trem.

I have some ideas about both the DGT and Cu24, but I don't want to steer the conversation and would rather just get other people's opinions.

So... you own a McCarty and want a second PRS: you play modern rock: would you get a Cu24 or DGT? Why?

Either will do the job. If you love the McCarty, I think the DGT is a logical choice. There are enough inherent differences in the tone and feel of stoptails and trems to merit owning both IMO.

24 vs 22 frets makes a difference. Thin shredder neck vs full 'C' shaped neck makes a difference. Hot pups vs vintage-voiced pups makes a difference.
What do YOU want???

Well, I guess if you want something different in terms of tone - go for CU24. If you really like your McCarty and want something similar with a trem - get a DGT. You can't really go wrong either way.

I will vote CU24 if your not a thin neck guy that can be had with the Pattern Reg ( or Standard neck ) and they can be had with lots of pickup combos I have played them with both VB/HFS and 57/08 sounds great both ways.
I think the CU24 is a must for any PRS crazy person !!!!

I have both...correction, I have and LOVE both...but for modern applications, I prefer the Custom 24. It's a pickup thing. And I prefer 59/09s in the Cu24, too. I played it thru my Boogie at practice and broke out into a Metallica tribute jam and it totally destroyed! The DGT sounds nothing like it for this style.

I'd go with the CU24 as well. In fact, I do have a CU24 and a McCarty.

I'm sure that the DGT also sounds different from the McCarty, but it's based on a McCarty. So the CU24 is more different.

Different is good. Differenter (yes I made that word up) is also good. ;)

I tested a DGT at a huge reputable store in UK about 3 months ago. The assistant rigged up the new Fender bassbreaker 15 as I was also interested in that amp. I absolutely hated the sound. Nothing seemed right but somehow at the back of my mind I was thinking that I cannot dismiss this guitar. The company has such a good reputation and I put it down to too many people having tested and abused the guitar or perhaps me not knowing the amp well enough.

Months passed by and I was again looking at PRS guitars online. More precisely Wolrd Guitar shop in Gloucester. I was intent on getting a Custom 24 this time. I them visited PMT store in Portsmouth and was hoping to test a custom 24 a CE22 and a DGT. They only had the custom 24 and the CE22. I did not like the CE at all. The custom 24 was fine and I could have bought it but did not. I drove home to London and that night I went back to world guitar website and pressed the trigger on a guitar I tested months earlier but did not like. Yes I purcahsed a PRS DGT 2017. I just fell in love with it.

My DGT arrived yesterday and boy am I loving it. I am a Stratocaster guy at heart. My strat is 24 years old and I have never bonded with humbucker guitars. My mate has an amazing Les Paul and I love the tone he gets. Just never like it when I play it.

The DGT is something else. The videos below is just the Guitar plugged straight into my rectoverb 25 with some spring reverb from the amp itself. the amp's master volume was turned down to 2 as I live in a flat and cannot crank it up. Guitar heaven. The coil splits sound very stratty and the sound combination is amazing. The guitar is very pleasing to look at and just beautifully crafted.

Sorry I have had to cut the post in 3 as a new member this is the only way to add links. You need 3 posts before adding a link to a post so here we go:

I have no association with world guitars but when someone from a company is replying to your emails at 11:30 on a friday evening, you know you have found a company that cares. Mark Smith was very quick to reply to any queries and on a friday evening when the shop was already shut he was emailing me to ask what my setup preferences are. By Tuesday the guitar was delivered. Happy customer.

The following was recorded off a samsung s6 edge mobile phone by the way.

Congrats on a great guitar! Can't go wrong with a DGT. Welcome to the forum!

I have been a hardcore Strat/Tele user since 1987. That all changed in 2008 when, after waiting 11 months, my goldtop DGT arrived. For the past nine years, the DGT has become my number one.

But, remember, David Grissom conjured vintage tones from his first generation PRS guitars - they were 24s.

Just buy the DGT. You'll be happy.

The videos were fun to watch - nice playing, too. Enjoy that thing! It looks great, sounds the business.

The videos were fun to watch - nice playing, too. Enjoy that thing! It looks great, sounds the business.
I have a feeling my 24 year old strat and favourite companion is going to be having a looong rest.

I think I can give you a personal insight since I recently traded in a DGT for a CU24 for purely personal reasons.

I owned my DGT for about 18 months, it was my first PRS, and I originally bought it as I was looking for something between a strat and a les paul. I'm a strat player historically, and I liked the DGT's McCarty roots, and the quality of the instrument as a whole. It seemed like the DGT was the perfect guitar to step into humbucker/mahogany territory. And it is, the DGT is a wonderful instrument, perfect by design for it's niche (and that's a large niche).

So why did I trade it? Again, for purely personal reasons. After playing the DGT, when I'd pick up my strat I'd notice few things. How much lighter it was, the more bell like high end, the smaller neck fitting my hand a bit better, and just being more natural for me to play as a whole. I still wanted the DGT's tone and sustain, but it was just a little too dark by comparison. The DGT's pickup's are clean to about 7.5 on the volume control, after which they began to sizzle. Now that's perfect for some people, but I missed my bright clean tones.

So one day I spotted a beautiful 30th anniversary azul CU24 in my local music shop and I picked it up. Everything I wanted from the DGT fell into place. The slimmer body was lighter, more comfortable and more balanced. With less mahogany in the back I noticed the tone was a bit lighter and brighter, not as thick, but still substantially more so than a strat. The neck was a pattern thin, which i now realise is the perfect neck for me. The DGT has a fuller neck profile, and while it's still very comfortable, the pattern thin is just more suitable to a smaller built, smaller handed guy like myself.

The 85/15 pickups are warm, but they don't sizzle like the DGT's. The final clinch for me was returning to the 5 way pickup switch. It's so versatile I use all the positions regularly, and while the DGT has an awesome coil-tap, the 2 and 4 positions on the CU24 can do things that the DGT never will, and as a strat guy, that really meant something for me. Also, I prefer the neck pickup on the CU24 being further south, I think it balances the tone better.

So that's it really, I hope this helps you in your decision, let me be clear that I'm not disparaging the DGT in any way, it will be a perfect guitar for many people, but the CU24 is just better for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and be sure to post it here when you pick one up!

I have a McCarty that I really like, but I want something with a trem.

I have some ideas about both the DGT and Cu24, but I don't want to steer the conversation and would rather just get other people's opinions.

So... you own a McCarty and want a second PRS: you play modern rock: would you get a Cu24 or DGT? Why?
I own both a DGT and Cu24 and adore each for what they are. But since you have a McCarty, I'd go Cu24. Then buy a DGT. :D

Being completely honest, the DGT is more of a vintage instrument and the CU24 is always modern.

I own both a DGT and Cu24 and adore each for what they are. But since you have a McCarty, I'd go Cu24. Then buy a DGT. :D

Being completely honest, the DGT is more of a vintage instrument and the CU24 is always modern.

Totally this!

Back