DGT Opinion needed: sell /trade or swap bridge pickup?

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
Hi folks
I have a 2018 core DGT in purple. Neck feels great, frets feel great, the neck pickup sounds beautiful and it plays like a dream.But I just can't get along with the bridge pickup as it's too trebly for my taste and doesn't suit palm muting and high gain. I'm not a metal player per se but chugging is part of my style.

I have been offered a trade by a lovely gentlemen for either a braz neck singlecut or a me1 stoptail (with cash top up from me). I've played other examples of these guitars and I like the pickups on both (rps surprised me)

Opinions sought: should I trade with either of those guitars or should I keep the dgt and swap out the bridge pickup for something like a tremonti or bk nailbomb (I love those two pickups).

I really don't like modifying guitars and especially a DGT, that has been developed to perfection for a specific sound, it feels wrong to swap out pickups.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Sounds like you answered your own question...swap the DGT for the guitar that suits your desired tones...Play them both how you'd normally play them...Loudly if necessary.
Pick a winner...if neither does it tonally, take the one you like aesthetically first, and do a PU swap.

Do you prefer SC or DC shape? Braz neck on both makes either a winner in my book. SC body shape will add a little more push in the lower mids. Likely thicker body which makes often makes them much heavier if that’s an issue for you.

ME I is hard to resist, though I like them best with 59/09s. RPs were a predecessor to 57/08s, at least that’s what I’ve heard over the years.

Both should have the same WF neck carve.

My DGT came to me with Mira pickups that I really like.
Remember the whole setup on a DGT is different , Neck Carve , Frets , Controls and how the taps are achieved.
Both your trade options sound killer, but if you love the feel of the DGT change the pickup, just keep the original in case you resell.

I’m with Rider1260 on this. The most sought after attributes of a guitar for me are playability and mojo/muse factor. With different pickups and the amount of amp/effect technology out there, there is a lot you can do for the sound. Hell, you could probably even get an Ovation to djent. However, after a guitar has a good setup with your preferred strings and specs, if it doesn’t play fantastic and have mojo it probably never will. I have a policy that if a guitar plays amazingly, I am not allowed to sell it under any circumstance. Regret is a *****. :) To avoid modding, you could stick with the current bridge pickup and try some simple things, if you haven’t already (eg. adjust the amp treble/presence, look into a separate EQ, even try a different amp as a comparison). Just my thoughts.

....I just can't get along with the bridge pickup as it's too trebly for my taste and doesn't suit palm muting and high gain....

Maybe obvious, but have you tried adjusting the heights of the pup? Lower the treble side, and/or raise/lower the bass side? Sometimes simple height adjustments can make a huge difference.

...just can't get along with the bridge pickup as it's too trebly for my taste and doesn't suit palm muting and high gain. I'm not a metal player per se but chugging is part of my style...

Looks like too late but if you put a 500k fixed resistor across the outer lugs of the volume pot to this pickup you'll make it effectively 250-300k and it will cut all the brightness off it.
Clip it on with alligator clips or try other resistor values until you get the tone you want from it. Costs a buck and some time. I used to swap pickups until I figured out how much influence the controls have even when dimed...

Thanks folks. You are definitely not too late as the trade has been delayed due to conflicting travel schedules. The DGT definitely has a lot of mojo and especially my particular guitar (maybe it's the color. Purple guitars always sound better;)) . I think pickup and volume pot adjustments may be a good option.

My DGT came to me with Mira pickups that I really like.
Remember the whole setup on a DGT is different , Neck Carve , Frets , Controls and how the taps are achieved.
Both your trade options sound killer, but if you love the feel of the DGT change the pickup, just keep the original in case you resell.

Yeah I dig it stock, but I could use a bit more heat out of the neck pickup. Been pondering a Duncan 59 or a 57/08 neck pickup.
Either way keep the DG pickup for resale. If you dig the guitar, that's a cheap fix. Tons of great pickups out there.

Back