DGT Nitro Finish Repairs?

colgan

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a used 2008 DGT which I'm told has some of the nitro finish coming away which I know occurs on this type of finish. I'm awaiting a photo to show the full detail but am told the wear to the nitro is on the top near the binding. The front surface looks in VGC and I need to stay at the price range this example is at. Also I'll be seeing the guitar in person before any purchase.

I would like to know if the option is there at a later time to fix up the specific problem areas of the finish convincingly (by a good tech/luthier) or would a complete refinish be necessary on the surface to fix it up to a good standard?

I imagine the guitar (by all accounts) will be a keeper anyway in which case this wear would not bother me personally but hoping people's experience can let me know my options if things change in the future.

I'm not in the US so PTC wouldn't be an option.

Thanks

I think the few times finish separating has been seen here is usually along the fret-board...near the rosewood sides if the fingerboard. It usually doesn't appear to be where it would hinder playing at all...so one option is to get it pretty cheaply and play it hard!!!! Good luck.

Nitro is one of the easier finishes for an experienced finisher to repair, because it tends to melt into the added nitro for the repair.

The trick is to find a good finish person.

Back