DGT neck binding question

rickcard71

Did PRS ask DG to allow binding on the neck? I know he probably doesn't have to, but just curious?

I'm not crazy about neck binding. Perhaps I am naive. Are there pros to it? Is there a reason for it other than aesthetics?

Thankfully my DGT and SC245 do not have binding on the neck.

My 08 does not but my Les Paul does.

It's a feel thing to me. The binding feels a bit more "finished"

I have one PRS I don't really like playing much, and it's got a plastic bound neck. It feels a bit too frictiony to me with the feel of the plastic.

I like the look, so I'd probably be ok with a wood bound one, but not a fan of the plastic.

I absolutely love neck binding. For me, it makes it much easier to see the fret markers, especially in low light situations, and I like that it esthetically carries over the scrape body binding on most PRS guitars.

Before I had a PRS the neck binding on my Les Paul was the most comfortable way I had experienced a neck finish......: Then I joined the world of PRS and the finish of the neck on my Vela and Brent Mason is just the best .. the way they shape the edge is perfect.. and I now far prefer the ‘plain’ wood feel

There's two types of bound necks, binding of the fretboard which is largely cosmetic and then there's a bound neck with fret edge binding like a vintage Gibson. These make the edges of the fretboard feel super smooth. Honestly the quality of PRS fret dressing means this isn't necessary anyway. I'm not sure if the dgt includes fret edge binding so it's probably just cosmetic

I like the look either way. As a good indicator of how little it matters to me, I had to go look and see if any of my PRS necks were bound. Yep, looks like some are!

It makes absolutely zero difference to me. The quality of the neck build makes a lot of difference. Handed one blindfolded, I’d venture that few if any could tell the difference.

I’m with you. The fit and finish of a PRS neck has nothing to do with binding. Fret tangs still go to the edge and are dressed immaculately. It’s more of a cosmetic thing. That’s from direct experience.
Thanks, this was my point exactly. Not that a person couldn’t tell any bound neck from a well done unbound neck, but one unbound PRS neck from an otherwise identical carve bound PRS neck. They’re so smooth either way that I can’t see a functional or feel difference.

It only lasted on the DGT for a couple of years. It’s not on it now, nor in 2020, IIRC

no experience, but i bet a refret on a bound neck would be a pain. Just more to get screwed up if the tech doesn’t know how to deal with it.

Back