DGT neck binding question

I like the look either way. As a good indicator of how little it matters to me, I had to go look and see if any of my PRS necks were bound. Yep, looks like some are!

It makes absolutely zero difference to me. The quality of the neck build makes a lot of difference. Handed one blindfolded, I’d venture that few if any could tell the difference.

I feel that way, too. Whether anyone can tell the difference by feel, I have no idea, but it certainly doesn't matter to me except I'll volunteer that I do like the look of a bound fretboard, whether it's wood or plastic (I have several of each).

I asked David about the neck binding when it first appeared on the model. He was unaware of the addition of the binding and didn't seem real amused. I had a conversation at the first Experience in '07 over a goldtop DGT we found in an office at the factory - it had the wrong tuners installed. David was less than pleased with that as well...

I asked David about the neck binding when it first appeared on the model. He was unaware of the addition of the binding and didn't seem real amused. I had a conversation at the first Experience in '07 over a goldtop DGT we found in an office at the factory - it had the wrong tuners installed. David was less than pleased with that as well...

Was it in the wrong office?;)

I have owned maybe six DGTs through the years.

I currently own two - an '08 and a '19. The '19 has neck binding - it's not my favorite, but it also doesn't bother me.

There have been so many subtle changes to the DGT, as with the other models, through the years. The neck binding was a little less subtle and didn't seem to be embraced with great joy.

From a feeling standpoint, I can't tell the difference....other the completely different neck shapes!

I love the binding. I had a DGT before with an all rosewood neck and I could sometimes feel the tangs in the winter when the house dried out. No chance of feeling that with binding.

Last edited:
In the winter, it is the cold that makes low humidity, not the house heater. Otherwise there would be low humidity in the summer.

Back