DGT Korina/Maple/Zircote or 594 Mahagony/Hormingo/Zircote?

JoJo

bird-spotter
Hi guys,

I’m in a bit of tight corner here concerning the acquisition of another PRS Core guitar.
A DGT Wood Library (with updated pickups and electronics) and a HBII are already in the stable.

Now I’m torn between another DGT with Korina body, Maple neck and Zircote fingerboard and a 594 Satin with Mahagony body, Hormingo neck and a Zircote fingerboard as well.

I’ll expect that the DGT will have a brighter voice than the one that’s already in my possession (having a standard Mahagony body and neck), so there’ll be some variety. Most probably however, I’ll have to change the pickups as the DGTs are a bit too aggressive to my ears. The one I own has now a set of Bareknuckle Abraxas, which are perfect. The new one will most probably get a set of lower-output BKP PG Blues or Mules. The DGT neck profile is fine for me, but a bit on the skinny side for my likings.

The 594 sports a satin finish (body and neck), which will be new for me. It’s neck profile will probably suit my preference for big, beefy necks, but I’m not so sure about the two-piece bridge assembly and the position of the toggle switch on the upper horn. I’m also a bit concerned that the scale length of the 594 is too short for me, as I’m more of a Strat guy than a Gibson devotee...

A direct comparison in the flesh will be difficult to organise, so I’ll have to decide which one to mail order.

Do you guys have some advice? Getting both will not be an option, as this will provoke (fully justified) heavy flak from the missus...

Looking forward to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

JoJo

These kind of posts asking for preference advice are hard to respond to, It’s all about YOUR preferences. For example, I don’t care for satin tops, but apparently you do. There’s no right or wrong; it’s about what YOU like. However, if you don’t like shorter scale guitars, then I’d steer away from that.

Both solid choices. You know what you're getting with the DGT. I'd say the real predicament is whether you're ok with two of the same model. Albeit different woods, that may give you a slightly different tone.

If it were me, I'd lean 594 because it's different, and because I'm not a fan of the finished maple necks. If that maple neck on the DGT is the "satin in maple" version, I'd be all over it!

Back