DGT help

Muziqman

Hey Guy. I'm new to the forum. I'm coming from ESP and Ibanez and have been cursed with needing Jumbo frets because at this point regular or medium fret just feels weird and wrong. So in my research of the PRS Core series I've only found 2 guitars with big frets : DGT and Santana models and I'm leaning heavily toward the DGT. Now I research the crap out of every large purchase and have a spreadsheet going with model years and colors and options etc. What I need your help with at this point is :
- has the guitar changed physically over the years ?
- were the original 2008 guitars heavier than current ones ?
- was the neck width smaller or has the carve changed over time ?

your help is greatly appreciated

First off, welcome to the forum.

As for your questions, I'll toss out my limited knowledge. I'm sure you'll get much better, more detailed, as well.

1) Not as far as I know. With respect to body thickness, pick ups, etc.
2) I think they have been similar weight from intro to current. Mine is just over 8 lbs
3) The neck width is smaller than the other PRS necks. I can never remember if it is 1/32" or 1/16". The carve has stayed consistent, as far as I know

The early ones (2008-2009, not sure about 2010) had a nitro finish. It changed to PRS's V12 finish, and is now whatever current poly they are using. There were a few recent years were there was binding on the neck. That was not on the early guitars, and it was removed for 2019.

Don’t overlook or discount the Santana’s! They’re amazing guitars for what I call “big ego” guitar work...

“Dear Abby,

I have a big ego. Does this mean I qualify for a Santana?

- - Self-Important In Detroit”

“Dear Self-Important,

No, because you suck at guitar. Stick to accordion. It will cure you of your overblown ego, since no one will ever listen to you play, and there’s no such thing as ‘tone’ when it comes to the wheezing noise that accordions produce.

- - Abby”

“Dear Abby,

I have a big ego. Does this mean I qualify for a Santana?

- - Self-Important In Detroit”

“Dear Self-Important,

No, because you suck at guitar. Stick to accordion. It will cure you of your overblown ego, since no one will ever listen to you play, and there’s no such thing as ‘tone’ when it comes to the wheezing noise that accordions produce.

- - Abby”

Abby is kind of a.... (looks over both shoulders and whispers) b!tch.

DGTs have changed cosmetically and electronically - and in other ways over the past few years.

They were nitro in '08, then were V12, and are now are whatever the current uber thin and durable finish are.

Had some capacitor changes from then to now on the volume (something like that).

Had Phase II.5 tuners (Phase II tuners with the added screw on the back like the Modern Eagles first had), now have the Phase IIIs - open geared backs.

Had brushed pickups, now have the shiny versions.

I've owned an '08, '09, '10, '11, '12....all had completely different neck shapes. Difference from the '08 to the '12 were like different models of guitars.

Weight has nothing to do with Core production specs...I have one that is almost 10 pounds, with others that were just over seven.

Briefly had neck binding, now back to no binding.

Still, my favorite production guitar, hands down.

Can't speak to the Santana model.

Mike

Thanks for the responses guys. Holy crap Mike your a gold mine of info. Just what I was looking for. Since you have had so many Mike, can you speak to the differences in sound, pickup wise. In general do they sound similar to each other ? Also do you feel that the neck width changed over time ? The current neck specs on the PRS website are very similar to my ESP Horizon but if necks are smaller in previous years then I might have issue with if feeling too narrow if I get an 08 or 09.

DGTs have changed cosmetically and electronically - and in other ways over the past few years.

They were nitro in '08, then were V12, and are now are whatever the current uber thin and durable finish are.

Had some capacitor changes from then to now on the volume (something like that).

Had Phase II.5 tuners (Phase II tuners with the added screw on the back like the Modern Eagles first had), now have the Phase IIIs - open geared backs.

Had brushed pickups, now have the shiny versions.

I've owned an '08, '09, '10, '11, '12....all had completely different neck shapes. Difference from the '08 to the '12 were like different models of guitars.

Weight has nothing to do with Core production specs...I have one that is almost 10 pounds, with others that were just over seven.

Briefly had neck binding, now back to no binding.

Still, my favorite production guitar, hands down.

Can't speak to the Santana model.

Mike

I agree with everything you have written mike, my favorite production guitar too, except that my '09 with shadow birds is also nitro.
:)

I agree with everything you have written mike, my favorite production guitar too, except that my '09 with shadow birds is also nitro.
:)

From what I've read 2008 to 2010 have Nitro finish. 2011 on up have the V12 finish.

I think my 2018 has nitro finish. I have not been able to figure it out. It smells different from my V12 PRSs but that said i think mine was a short run (katalox fb etc) so the cores may be V12.
Neck wise its one of the best necks i have. I dont feel like its particularly narrow. Its traditional yet not very thick.
Weight wise, mine is pretty light. I think its less than 8 pounds.

Ok, these were shot by a buddy of the drummer behind FOH. Sound is stage wash only and complete shite for mix ( the bassist is lost in the rumble and is a total monster, so a real loss) but gets the idea across. The DGT can genre hop with the best of ‘em.

If I can’t share embarrassing videos with you guys, where else could I? This is how you improve...don’t ever do that stuff again!

Back