DGT Gold Top vs Ibanez AS73, observation only...

LindseyP

No sound files, just thought I'd mention it only took the past 15-20 minutes to notice the sonic domination of my DGT vs the sonic shortcomings of the AS73, something I never notice in the Ibanez. Maybe it just needs some intonation work but right now the Ibanez sounds so expendable.

Well, it's definitely a rocking looking hollowbody. Maybe a set of DGT pups?

Pickups do a lot indeed. Compared to my PRS, my Ibanez sounds undefined and not clear. The PRS pickpus are very clear and leave a lot of space for the tone of the wood. Ibanez pickups on the other hand sound flat, unresponsive and unclear...

Pickups do a lot indeed. Compared to my PRS, my Ibanez sounds undefined and not clear. The PRS pickpus are very clear and leave a lot of space for the tone of the wood. Ibanez pickups on the other hand sound flat, unresponsive and unclear...

This!

Until it was stolen, my only guitar for many years was a really cheap Ibanez that I put high end pickups in. I don't remember the exact model pups, but I remember I paid over twice as much for them as I did for the guitar itself ($260 for guitar, $700 total for pups/rewire + install). For such a Frankenstein like guitar, that thing rocked after the upgrade.

Other than my Taylor acoustic, I purged my stable of all non-PRS guitars over the past year - and I had some pretty nice MIJ Roadstars, Musicians, Artists, etc - really solid, well-made guitars, but they all failed to inspire me compared to even the PRS SEs I had at the time.

I also tried an AR325 and an AM93 for a short time - I think they both had the newer Custom 58s - and they were just "meh" The construction was decent for the price - not up to SE standards, but nice for the price - so pup swaps would have been mandatory if I had kept either one.

PS - you wanna talk "wide-fat" the AM93 was like a baseball bat - I love the PRS WF carve, but that neck I just couldn't warm up to. The AR325 was comfy though...

Last edited:
Back