DGT fan... NGD’s

My DGT (used) came with 10s. I swapped to 11s once I saw a few more Grissom related videos.

Likely will swap back to 10s.

Anyone notice adverse effects from going to 10s?

My DGT (used) came with 10s. I swapped to 11s once I saw a few more Grissom related videos.

Likely will swap back to 10s.

Anyone notice adverse effects from going to 10s?

I set the gold top up with 10’s the day I received it. Plays great. The setup with the 11’s is an interesting case. I’ve got one of each now and I’ll leave it that way for a few weeks. I played the cherry yesterday w the 11’s. I thought I’d struggle with it but I didn’t really. More than the gauge of the strings is the string height setup and nut height. Obviously Mr. Grissom likes them this way and I’m starting to understand why. I don’t like the shallow nut cut relative to the first fret though. It’s a big press.

I’m not touching the new one until I settle in on what’s right for me in the long run. I lowered the action on the Goldtop, adjusted the bridge to level with the 10’s but haven’t touched the nut.

If I had to do something right now, I’d probably file that nut out some on the Goldtop and perfect the 10 guage setup for lower action and a more traditional PRS feel. There definitely is a tone change from the 11’s to 10’s but I’m still very happy with the 10’s

Lot’s of fun tonite playing both the gold and red (gold w 10’s and action lowered and cherry stock w 11’s untouched)

I’m not having any trouble with the 11’s and surprising the higher action with the big frets isn’t nearly as challenging as I expected. No question the DGT shines w the 11’s. It feels more typical with 10’s but the DGT pickups kick it up a notch.

My thoughts are to stick with the 11’s and drop the action just a touch. Tonally, this guitar is everything I expected (especially w the 11’s). I’m playing through a Two Rock Bloomfield Drive and it just sounds incredible. Love it.

I’ve got 10’s on almost every other guitar I own but the slightly longer scale on this DGT seems to equalize the feel. I think I can get in my zone with the 11’s. You can really tell this guitar is a 20 year evolution.

Lot’s of fun tonite playing both the gold and red (gold w 10’s and action lowered and cherry stock w 11’s untouched)

I’m not having any trouble with the 11’s and surprising the higher action with the big frets isn’t nearly as challenging as I expected. No question the DGT shines w the 11’s. It feels more typical with 10’s but the DGT pickups kick it up a notch.

My thoughts are to stick with the 11’s and drop the action just a touch. Tonally, this guitar is everything I expected (especially w the 11’s). I’m playing through a Two Rock Bloomfield Drive and it just sounds incredible. Love it.

I’ve got 10’s on almost every other guitar I own but the slightly longer scale on this DGT seems to equalize the feel. I think I can get in my zone with the 11’s. You can really tell this guitar is a 20 year evolution.
That’s awesome. A forum member that lives close had a Bloomfield. That is one glorious amp.

Didn’t take me long to decide what to do with setup...

11’s back on the Goldtop. Took just a touch of relief out of the neck. Set the action to .2 across the bridge and it plays almost identically the the burst.

I like how you can really did into those heavier stings.

I’m a big fan. It takes a little getting use to but once you “get it” it’s hard to put down.

I played one a few months back and the guy at the shop practically had to pry it from my hands. Not sure if it had 10s or 11s. It felt amazing either way. I've been saving for another Silver Sky, but I am seriously considering just saving a while longer and springing for a DGT. Since playing that one, I've been smitten. Enjoy!!

I played one a few months back and the guy at the shop practically had to pry it from my hands. Not sure if it had 10s or 11s. It felt amazing either way. I've been saving for another Silver Sky, but I am seriously considering just saving a while longer and springing for a DGT. Since playing that one, I've been smitten. Enjoy!!
Another Silver Sky or a DGT: no contest. Save for the DGT.

Wait til you play one LOUD. This guitar has so much character and so many different voicings. It’s fantastic with w a tube screamer style circuit. Equally amazing with a Klon type pedal. The tap for single coil maybe isn’t strat great but still great. It comes setup with the action pretty high. You can take some relief out of the neck and lower the saddles a touch if you’re not a neck wrangler. I like it sort of in between and I’ve got it just how I want it on both now. This has got the PAF thing going in spades but there’s more. A modern vintage machine with a tremolo that stays in tune. Love it.

Wait til you play one LOUD. This guitar has so much character and so many different voicings. It’s fantastic with w a tube screamer style circuit. Equally amazing with a Klon type pedal. The tap for single coil maybe isn’t strat great but still great. It comes setup with the action pretty high. You can take some relief out of the neck and lower the saddles a touch if you’re not a neck wrangler. I like it sort of in between and I’ve got it just how I want it on both now. This has got the PAF thing going in spades but there’s more. A modern vintage machine with a tremolo that stays in tune. Love it.
I run mine through a Klon KTR then a Belle Epoch. Maybe it's the buffers of both but it surely adds some special sauce.

And absolutely on the PAF thing.

I run mine through a Klon KTR then a Belle Epoch. Maybe it's the buffers of both but it surely adds some special sauce.

And absolutely on the PAF thing.
There’s a Grissom vid on YT where he cops a Duane Allman vibe and it’s just spot on. Obviously that’s as much player as guitar but the tones are there.

The essence of the DGT is the 20 year collaboration. Impressive how PRS opened his heart and mind to David and let this guitar come into the world. Grissom at his finest well represents the best of the PAF inspired players. Paul was smart and intuitive to follow that peanut trail all those years.

You should do this!

I moved up to 11s on mine, and have not looked back. The DGT is such an easy playing guitar, between the neck carve and jumbo frets, that the 11s felt like 10s . I played Strat style guitars for years, this is my first guitar with a shorter scale length, it may not be much, but is so easy to play.

Back