DGT...Clean?

P90s

I've always been intrigued by the DGT but I've never come across one in local stores. YouTube is the logical next-step, but for obvious reasons, DG himself does all the demos and I've never been a big fan of his saturated tone. I know he has plenty of ardent fans, so I apologize for my personal opinion. I'm curious to know how the guitar tone sounds when it's clean. I know the guitar was designed to DG's specs and his tone is very distinct, but I'm wondering how flexible it is. Does anyone have any insights? Are there are postings you've seen where the guitar is relatively clean? Thanks!

I have a dgt and i can tell you the modern eagle v cleans up very nicely in comparison. If you desire clean tones, i’d recommend a different route.

It's very flexible. But if clean tones are your thing, I wouldn't recommend it. To me, the DGT is all about that bridge pickup, with some gain. Very Les Paul-ish... like a LP with some of the punch of a tele. For my rock tones, I love it, it performs exactly as advertised. For my cover band, where I DO use a few clean tones here and there, it's fine. Not as good as my strat or tele, but that's a PAF for you. When split, they are pretty good... I would never record the DGT bridge split in lieu of a tele, and I would never record the DGT neck in lieu of a strat. But for "working" live situations, it's fine.

When I want beautiful cleans and semi-cleans, I go to my HSS strat or tele. When I want Grissom-type rock dirt, while I do love my tele (Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge) and strat (JB bridge), nothing does that better than the DGT.

When I bought it, that's what I expected: a very versatile guitar, better at dirts than cleans, and don't forget that NO guitar is best at everything. The DGT and HSS Strat are the guitars I use in my rock cover band, because they are Swiss army knives.

OH: and as to the cleanup by rolling down the guitar's volume: that's VERY amp-dependent; it's way more amp-dependent than guitar-dependent. The DGT cleans up much better (great) on my NMV amps; on my Hot Cat dirty channel, not so much. But that's the AMP, not the guitar... I can say the same thing for my tele and strat (both of which have "treble bleeds").

It's very flexible. But if clean tones are your thing, I wouldn't recommend it. To me, the DGT is all about that bridge pickup, with some gain. Very Les Paul-ish... like a LP with some of the punch of a tele. For my rock tones, I love it, it performs exactly as advertised. For my cover band, where I DO use a few clean tones here and there, it's fine. Not as good as my strat or tele, but that's a PAF for you. When split, they are pretty good... I would never record the DGT bridge split in lieu of a tele, and I would never record the DGT neck in lieu of a strat. But for "working" live situations, it's fine.

When I want beautiful cleans and semi-cleans, I go to my HSS strat or tele. When I want Grissom-type rock dirt, while I do love my tele (Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge) and strat (JB bridge), nothing does that better than the DGT.

When I bought it, that's what I expected: a very versatile guitar, better at dirts than cleans, and don't forget that NO guitar is best at everything. The DGT and HSS Strat are the guitars I use in my rock cover band, because they are Swiss army knives.

OH: and as to the cleanup by rolling down the guitar's volume: that's VERY amp-dependent; it's way more amp-dependent than guitar-dependent. The DGT cleans up much better (great) on my NMV amps; on my Hot Cat dirty channel, not so much. But that's the AMP, not the guitar... I can say the same thing for my tele and strat (both of which have "treble bleeds").
Great insights. Thanks for taking the time.

Back