DGT and 0.009 Gauge

tomtetom

Hello

I'm the proud owner of a 2021 DGT.

It came strung with 0.011s but I play 0.008s and 0.085 gauge sets for Fender and Gibson respectively .

Is there any issue with using lighter gauge strings on the DGT?

Last edited:
in a little time after you put the lighter gauge strings on it you may have to do a neck adjustment to pull the neck back a little flatter as it may develop a little more back-bow with the lighter string's with less tension. David Grissom plays 11's and because it's his sig. guitar, that's the way it ships; so a lot of people keep the 11's on it. The DGT I got used came with 10-46's and for grins I put 11's on it to see what the 11's were about (and in a day I needed to tweak the truss rod), lo-and-behold it was the only guitar I could play comfortably with 11's for some weird reason. To me, the 11's, being fatter strings, also gave the guitar a "bolder" presence in tone and voice. My move from my usual 10's to 11's was a smaller jump than your 8.0/8.5's. to 11's would be, to be sure. Play the string gauge that lets you play your best, and just do a little truss rod tweak if needed. Enjoy that DGT, they are amazing guitars.

As long as it doesn't cause you grief, I'd recommend playing 11s for a bit. They really do feel like a lighter gauge on the DGT. Bu t as double scale said, a small truss rod tweak should be all it needs.

Hello

Im the proud owner of a 2021 DGT.

It came strung with 0.011s but I play 0.008s and 0.085 gauge sets for Fender and Gibson respectively .

Is there any issue with using lighter gauge strings on the DGT?
Congrats!! I switched all my guitars to 9-46. They don’t all feel the same and I may play with the gauges one day but now I need simplicity. Go for it and like the others say, rod adjustment and maybe intonation. I learned how to do my own setups to save money to get more guitars and I’ve learned a lot. :p

I’d try 10s first.

3cf52e90e5ed2501a961eed7a65f7d360346a372.gif

Every guitar has it's own unique properties and will respond differently to the tension of strings. I always experiment with different sets to find the right combination that a guitar responds to!

I tried the 9.5 sets when I got my first PRS after playing 10's and 11's for jazz forever. A little adjustment is all that is usually needed. I found the lighter gauge easier to play more dynamically . I put 9's on my 335's and it was a whole new world. I did have to learn a lighter touch, but that has had wonderful benefits in playing

I tried the 9.5 sets when I got my first PRS after playing 10's and 11's for jazz forever. A little adjustment is all that is usually needed. I found the lighter gauge easier to play more dynamically . I put 9's on my 335's and it was a whole new world. I did have to learn a lighter touch, but that has had wonderful benefits in playing

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

There's 10s on there at this point but I use lighter gauges so that as @Greywolf says I have greater dynamics and sensitivity. Also, playing 11s and 12s for years means that I now have carpal/extensor issues in my fretting hand.

I think I'll ultimately wind up on 9s - I really appreciate the responses - thank you! :)

So many decimals and zeros.

As a life long Strat player (strung with 11-49s - always), the PRS 25” scale has always felt floppy to me. I’ve never been able to duck below 11s.

The DGT coming from the factory with 11s was perfect for me - already factory set up with the perfect set up.

I play lighter strings
Theres a great selection of hybrid strings out there to but really dont think changing your gauge will effect the guitar drastically as long as its set up properly
What are you tuning to?
If you were tuning down i could see keeping a heavyer gauge then you usually use but if 9’s work in standard tuning for you then thats what id set the guitar up for
That said i have own guitars that dont play as well for me in standard tuning as they do in a dropped tunings
Like strats i always like a strat in Eb not just for the feel an playability but to thicken up the single coils a tad without changing my amp or effect settings
Or i have a headless guitar i enjoy a great deal(dont ask me why i just dig it)an its thinner neck a 24 frets just feel and sound better in Eb,and i just skip down a fret when i need to play in E standard
Just say’n there great string options try some

Back