DGT 2019 or 2020?

BlueSky

I'm in the market to get my first DGT. Things have boiled down to a 2019 with neck binding and a 2020 without the binding.
I know that the 2020 has that new nitro over cellulose (cab) finish but it's not clear what finish the 2019 has. Is it poly, V12, or nitro? I has, as I said, the neck binding.
And what about the pickups? I assume the 2020 have that newfangled TCI treatment. How does that affect the regular DGT pickups tone-wise?
Unfortunately, both guitars are from online stores, so I can't try them first. Help me decide, please.

I am pretty sure the 2019 will not be nitro, and not have TCI treated pickups. I can't say that 100% because they started switching over at the end of 2019. For example, I have a 2019 594 that was made in late November. It has the nitro finish and the TCI treated pickups.

Several of us forum member in the west suburbs of Chicago got together last February for a day of 594 fun. There is definitely something "different" about the newer specs that give it a little "more." Can't tell you if it's the nitro, or the TCI, or a combination of both. Definitely noticeable though, but had to articulate in words. At least for me.

I think that the DGT was nitro in 2019. Both Paul's Guitar and DGT switched to nitro that year. On the colors page for 2019 (https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/2019_guitar_back_colors) it shows gloss nitro for both models. I don't know when that started or even how to tell the difference. That's one of the reasons that I ordered a DGT in 2019 but it was late 2020 before I received it so I think I got the 2020 specs.

I don't think TCI applies to the DGT at all.

2019 should be back to nitro - I had a conversation with about putting on a decal on my 2019 as far if it was V12 or nitro.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

The binding is different. If you like the look of it, go for it.

Straight nitro in 2019 until October then nitro over poly late 2019 into 2020. (According to shop I bought a DGT Artist from). The 2020 DGT pickups are TCI. Having never played a non-TCI version I have no idea of the difference but the TCI versions sound great.

Back