DG30

yeah, I get that, and while I'm much "better" than I used to be, pedals are still the easiest thing to buy/try/flip and get some different tones than you currently have.

yeah, I get that, and while I'm much "better" than I used to be, pedals are still the easiest thing to buy/try/flip and get some different tones than you currently have.

I went through a thing where I didn’t like pedals, and then through a thing where I had rack gear, then back to no pedals, and then more pedals.

But my ultimate conclusion is that pedals are superb tone-shapers, and why wouldn’t I have them available to use, or not use, as the needs of the track demand?

DTR is absolutely right that they’re easy to buy and flip, and besides that, they can add a lot to the vibe of a track. So I’m with DTR here. He’s right, as usual.

Or go Axe FX III and have it all in ONE box... Muuuuuaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaa...

I went through a thing where I didn’t like pedals, and then through a thing where I had rack gear, then back to no pedals, and then more pedals.

But my ultimate conclusion is that pedals are superb tone-shapers, and why wouldn’t I have them available to use, or not use, as the needs of the track demand?

DTR is absolutely right that they’re easy to buy and flip, and besides that, they can add a lot to the vibe of a track. So I’m with DTR here. He’s right, as usual.
Uh, what? ;)

Yes, I think that no matter how great of an amp you have, and even if it has a great gain channel, pedals provide a nice tone shaper/gain range that your amp doesn’t have. So, just a couple OD/distortion pedals can provide both a low/mid gain version of your clean channel, and a punched up version of your gain channel. Or they can completely revoice your clean channel and add a little or a lot of gain that is very different than you gain channel, etc. Like Les said, tone and gain shaping, vibe, voice, etc.

But IMHO, if you have a top of the line pedal platform, such as a DG, 3-4 pedals can give you 3-6 completely different amp tones/feels/vibes/voices etc. There is nothing better than having tones you love and feel like it’s what you always wanted. But, unless you are a player who plays one style, one tone range, one guitar, etc, having many voices is always “more better.” IMHO!!! I have an Archon and until a couple days ago still had a Mesa Mark V, arguably the most versatile high gain 3 channel amp ever, but I still buy pedals for different voices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, what? ;)

Yes, I think that no matter how great of an amp you have, and even if it has a great gain channel, pedals provide a nice tone shaper/gain range that your amp doesn’t have. So, just a couple OD/distortion pedals can provide both a low/mid gain version of your clean channel, and a punched up version of your gain channel. Or they can completely revoice your clean channel and add a little or a lot of gain that is very different than you gain channel, etc. Like Les said, tone and gain shaping, vibe, voice, etc.

But IMHO, if you have a top of the line pedal platform, such as a DG, 3-4 pedals can give you 3-6 completely different amp tones/feels/vibes/voices etc. There is nothing better than having tones you love and feel like it’s what you always wanted. But, unless you are a player who plays one style, one tone range, one guitar, etc, having many voices is always “more better.” IMHO!!! I have an Archon and until a couple days ago still had a Mesa Mark V, arguably the most versatile high gain 3 channel amp ever, but I still buy pedals for different voices.

Oh, I agree with you, it’s just that I already have two dirt pedals and a fuzz on my board, and the two dirt pedals are practically dual channel units so... I have more distortion/overdrive options than I have opportunities to use them.

Add the other pedals I have that didn’t make it on the board and, sh!t, I’m done.

Oh, I agree with you, it’s just that I already have two dirt pedals and a fuzz on my board, and the two dirt pedals are practically dual channel units so... I have more distortion/overdrive options than I have opportunities to use them.

Add the other pedals I have that didn’t make it on the board and, sh!t, I’m done.
You just reminded me to move a bunch of unused pedals. It’s gonna be a ‘dump it on Reverb’ weekend!

You and me both, dude. I have so much stuff I need unload.
seems to be going around... I have sold 3 amps in the last month. Have two speaker/cabs still listed, have 5-6 pedals listed, and getting ready to list a couple guitars. This stuff is like rabbits! You put a couple of this and a couple of that in the music room, and the next thing you know there are tons of everything!

I know someone who has no pedals (joseph aka ap515)

anyone think he can be hooked into delay or whatnot?

seems to be going around... I have sold 3 amps in the last month. Have two speaker/cabs still listed, have 5-6 pedals listed, and getting ready to list a couple guitars.

I’d like to sell all my worldly goods and live out my remaining days in obscurity.

“You’re already living in complete obscurity, Les.”

“Really? I thought I was semi-famous; after all, there’s that PRS sig model in the works that’s...”

“Never going to happen.”

“Well, maybe it’ll be an amp that...”

“...is never going to happen.”

:(

I’d like to sell all my worldly goods and live out my remaining days in obscurity.

“You’re already living in complete obscurity, Les.”

“Really? I thought I was semi-famous; after all, there’s that PRS sig model in the works that’s...”

“Never going to happen.”

“Well, maybe it’ll be an amp that...”

“...is never going to happen.”

:(
So basically, you get to keep all your stuff and live in obscurity. I think they call that a win-win.

Being a creature of habit, I usually play the McCarty Singlecut (affectionately known as The Hammer Of The Gods) through the HXDA. It’s always seemed a natural pairing.

However, yesterday I spent some very happy time playing it through the DG30. Maybe it was just the novelty, maybe it was just that particular time of the moon, but I liked the combination a whole lot!

Lately I’ve been spending more time with the DG than my other amps. I admit that I tend to gravitate to one amp more than others from time to time, but there’s really something great about the DG; I’ve had it for nearly 5 years, and it keeps getting better and better. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Something possessed me to grab that SE EG for band practice tonight, and man! What an amazing sounding guitar through the DG30!

I goosed the volume and reduced the master and holy f@ckin’ sh!t! Bone stock, that inexpensive guitar sounded like a million bucks.

Something possessed me to grab that SE EG for band practice tonight, and man! What an amazing sounding guitar through the DG30!

I goosed the volume and reduced the master and holy f@ckin’ sh!t! Bone stock, that inexpensive guitar sounded like a million bucks.

A great amp always sounds like a great amp!

Back