DG30

Glad you guys like the way the board gets used and the setup!

I’ve been planning to put in a different flooring thing for a couple of years, but it keeps getting put off because guitars or health issues seem to keep cropping up...

Vacation?! I feel like we could make the Terror Tour an every other month thing.
I have a few others in mind:
- Connecticut, New Hampshire, maybe a bit of PA - I was close to including the Woodstock Invitational last month, so might save this until next fall
- Dallas, Austin, San Antonio
- LA, San Diego
Hmm, maybe a thread for suggestions.

I actually use the H9s in a bunch of different ways, so please bear with my long answer!

H9 #1 is connected to the white expression pedal so I can mess with various parameters. I’ve also created a wah preset I like, and use the expression pedal for that as well.

One of the board’s cool features is that on the I/O connector box on the side there are normalled send/return jacks, meaning, the two H9s are normally connected directly to each other in series when nothing’s plugged into the send and return, but the connection is broken when a plug is inserted into the jacks.

This allows me to insert another piece of gear between the two H9s, or I can use one H9 in front of the amp, say for modulation, and the second H9 independently in an amp’s loop (though it’s very unusual for me to use amp loops).

Or I can route one H9 to one amp, and the other to a second amp for a wet/dry setup, which I do occasionally. It’s very flexible, and allows me to use the H9s creatively.

I use the H9s for modulation (I also have analog tremolo and chorus on the pedalboard), but I also use the insert point between the two H9s a lot.

Anyway, my favorite setup is to use H9 #1 for modulation, then I use the inserts for a tape echo Fulltone makes, and then use the second H9 for a plate reverb after the tape echo.

I really love the Eventide sound, and used an H3000 d/se in the studio for many years before going “in the box” (and have the H3000 plugin emulation on my computer). So I’m really used to the way their algorithms work.

The other thing I LOVE about the H9 is that I can’t control everything from an ipad or iphone. No squinting into little menus, no hands-and-knees-with-guitar-strapped-on knob twiddling.
Wow, does that sound cool & I bet this rig sounds amazing!!! I’d love to hear the tones & FX you’re getting here.....What kind of music are you playing with this set-up too?

I have the H9 & keep wanting to add it into my Fractal FX8 rig, bit I’m kind of simple when it comes to FX. The midi on both of these units means I’d be able to control it with the FX8....I may have to look into this now.

Thanks for such a detailed response here....& again....”Nice Rig”!!!!

X

There’s too much Grissom going on up in here....
giphy.gif

Wow, does that sound cool & I bet this rig sounds amazing!!! I’d love to hear the tones & FX you’re getting here.....What kind of music are you playing with this set-up too?

I have the H9 & keep wanting to add it into my Fractal FX8 rig, bit I’m kind of simple when it comes to FX. The midi on both of these units means I’d be able to control it with the FX8....I may have to look into this now.

Thanks for such a detailed response here....& again....”Nice Rig”!!!!

X

Thanks, X!

Mostly I use the gear for the TV ad music I write and record, but I wrote this little piece to test record the pedalboard after I put it together (forgive me if you’ve already heard it, I’ve posted it in another thread to demo the tone of the guitar):

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-4

The amp used was the HXDA; all pedals in front of the amp, the PS20 guitar. Pedals were the Pettyjohn EQ, the Pettyjohn Lift buffer/preamp, the Pettydrive 2 set to just touch the tone a tiny bit, the Suhr Alexa chorus, plus the two H9s. Cab is the PRS deep back, mic’d with an Audix i5 about a foot back from the cab angled toward the edge of the speaker, and a Rode NTR ribbon set up as a room mic. My thinking was to capture the sound I got in the room as much as possible, and you can’t get that with the mic right up on the grille. The room mic is mixed very low, but adds to the vibe.

I’m a better keyboard player than guitar player, so please forgive the playing, but I think the tone’s pretty cool on that track, so I kept it.

Here’s an actual song (I rarely write songs!) where I used the two H9s with the HXDA also; the little solo in the middle used one of the H9s as a wah with the expression pedal, and the second one for a little bit of delay. For this one I used a McCarty mostly, and a 594 for the wah solo because I traded in the McCarty for the 594 while this thing was in process. The singer is my friend Liz Larin. The little bit of guitar weirdness in the intro is the same rig run through a Moog filter (not part of the pedalboard):

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/waves-of-blue

BTW, the FX8 is a very sweet FX unit; I bet it’d be great with the H9!

Last edited:
Thanks, X!

Mostly I use the gear for the TV ad music I write and record, but I wrote this little piece to test record the pedalboard after I put it together (forgive me if you’ve already heard it, I’ve posted it in another thread to demo the tone of the guitar):

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-4

The amp used was the HXDA; all pedals in front of the amp, the PS20 guitar. Pedals were the Pettyjohn EQ, the Pettyjohn Lift buffer/preamp, the Pettydrive 2 set to just touch the tone a tiny bit, the Suhr Alexa chorus, plus the two H9s. Cab is the PRS deep back, mic’d with an Audix i5 about a foot back from the cab angled toward the edge of the speaker, and a Rode NTR ribbon set up as a room mic. My thinking was to capture the sound I got in the room as much as possible, and you can’t get that with the mic right up on the grille. The room mic is mixed very low, but adds to the vibe.

I’m a better keyboard player than guitar player, so please forgive the playing, but I think the tone’s pretty cool on that track, so I kept it.

Here’s an actual song (I rarely write songs!) where I used the two H9s with the HXDA also; the little solo in the middle used one of the H9s as a wah with the expression pedal, and the second one for a little bit of delay. For this one I used a McCarty mostly, and a 594 for the wah solo because I traded in the McCarty for the 594 while this thing was in process. The singer is my friend Liz Larin. The little bit of guitar weirdness in the intro is the same rig run through a Moog filter (not part of the pedalboard):

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/waves-of-blue-3

BTW, the FX8 is a very sweet FX unit; I bet it’d be great with the H9!
Les......I really thought I replied to this thread already. SO sorry man!!!

A++ & OMG!!! What tones, playing and vibe you create here Brother. I truly love it & need some of this in my playing for sure!!!!

The 1st clip really stood out to me & I’m a fan now!!

X

Les......I really thought I replied to this thread already. SO sorry man!!!

A++ & OMG!!! What tones, playing and vibe you create here Brother. I truly love it & need some of this in my playing for sure!!!!

The 1st clip really stood out to me & I’m a fan now!!

X

Those are mighty kind words, X! Glad you like the tracks/tones. :)

I’m only bumping this thread to balance out all the MT15 posts with something more Grissomy. :)

Plus...

DG = Not noisy, and

DG = No loop to be annoyed with, and

Les = No guzz-guzz-djent-djent. ;)
And don't forget the Julie Bowen factor...

DG = REALLY PRETTY!!

Back