DG Custom 30

aristotle

I set a limit of one for what I could purchase at experience. Could have been a strap or a key chain...or a guitar...or whatever. I have to admit though that I really had my mind set before hand though.

I was happy to see that these things were actually available for cash and carry.

DGT30-1_zpsb1b0adb3.jpg

Yeah...it'd look better if I got the cab too, but I have lots of cab options (including the MDT 2x12 wit V30s). Evidently the DG cabs are different construction (without a baffle for example) but I had that one-thing limit after all. Besides, I had a feeling that I'd really like it with a pair of Blues...

DG30-4_zpsa1db61e6.jpg

I tried it out with a bunch of speaker combinations, and to me, I liked it best with my Vox2x12 with blues and with a Marshall 1960BHW with the 55Hz greenbacks of all things.

Interestingly, this amp is nothing like I expected. I went in wanting it because I figure if Grissom was involved it would ooze tone...but I figured it would be yet another flavor of Plexi tone. OK by me if that were the case. I'm sort of stupid that way. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was described as a cross between a Vox and a Trainwreck. Not sure that's entirely true, but I don't have any experience with Trainwrecks in person so I can't say for sure on that part. It's way more chimey than the MDT or HXDA (or any plexi-like amp) but it has a VERY aggressive crunch.

Only had just a bit of time with it so far, so I'll wait until I get to know it more before commenting too much. The most obvious standout though is that the 30W version is just right for gigging in clubs. Volume dimed and master at 3/4 with top cut centered and boost engaged puts the amp exactly where I want it to be. The amp isn't for high gain players who want to get their gain from the amp, but after a bit of playing around, it takes to the OCD and PlimSoul way better than any other PRS amp I have or have tried. And, the amp cleans up better than any PRS amp that I have or have tried with the volume dimed using the guitar volume. Initial impression is two thumbs waaay up. Anyway, a couple more pics...

DGA-5_zpsad61a0f6.jpg

DGT30-2_zpsd2e7cf83.jpg

And evidently the guys at guitar sanctuary snagged DG and got him to sign the amps...which is a cool touch...
DG30-3_zps79073d17.jpg

Last edited:
Oh...and a couple of Experience shots. Unfortunately I had a ton of work stuff going on and I had to run in and out like a Ninja.

exp-1_zps61e22608.jpg

exp-2_zps0342f828.jpg

Bangin'!

I practically wet myself seeing the cabinet yesterday. I would almost consider getting one if I didn't know I would trash it in a week.

You gotta love a man with a plan and perfect execution. Congrats on the acquisition! I am eagerly awaiting your always excellent gear review and video demo.

Congrats! Amp looks great (and you take great pics btw)! Cant wait to hear some clips of this thing. Cheers!

Sounds like a very cool amp. What you're describing reminds me of my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30, which was a very fine amp, indeed. Chime for days, but also could get crunchy and gainy pretty quickly.

Congrats on the amp. Went to the Grissom and Sewell session today . The amps sound killer.

Played it out last night. No guts no glory right? Worked out great. I'm not good at describing tone, but think Selmer Zodiac Twin 30 with a good master volume and reverb....Free's "All Right Now." To me, it "feels" like a great vintage JTM45. Doesn't sound like one, but has all of the feel of one.

And as there isn't much info out there on these, here are a couple of other facts...true of the 30W version at least...

4xEL84 power tubes (though I'm not sure exactly whose tubes they chose. They've got 6P141-EB markings on them, which I'm used to seeing on NOS tubes...though the markings don't necessarily make the tubes NOS.)

5AR4 rectifier.

Two fans on the back panel...which is odd since nothing in this amp seems to run very hot...but the fans are quiet.

My only niggle with the amp so far is that the clips on the power tubes are a fancy spring loaded contraption that rattles just a bit. Only noticeable for home playing or recording and no biggie. I just removed the clips and am good to go.

The 6P14P-EB (6P14P-EV translated) is a Soviet design that is comparable with the 7189, which is a super EL84. The EL84 has a maximum cathode-to-plate voltage differential of 300 VDC. The 7189 can handle 400 VDC and the 7189A can handle 440 VDC. If I recall correctly, the plate voltage on the DG30 is 315 VDC, which leads me to believe that the tube was chosen for its tone, not its ability to survive in the amp. Sovtek EL84Ms are relabeled 6P14P-EVs.

He did a couple amp room demos. I didn't see much video while I was there, but I wasn't really looking either. They sounded great in the room - but they didn't let me have at them, so...

I did manage to get this short clip of him playing it. It wasn't part of his demo in the front conference room, but it does show how he uses it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...it'd look better if I got the cab too, but I have lots of cab options (including the MDT 2x12 wit V30s). Evidently the DG cabs are different construction (without a baffle for example) but I had that one-thing limit after all. Besides, I had a feeling that I'd really like it with a pair of Blues...

DG30-4_zpsa1db61e6.jpg

I tried it out with a bunch of speaker combinations, and to me, I liked it best with my Vox2x12 with blues and with a Marshall 1960BHW with the 55Hz greenbacks of all things.

Interestingly, this amp is nothing like I expected. I went in wanting it because I figure if Grissom was involved it would ooze tone...but I figured it would be yet another flavor of Plexi tone. OK by me if that were the case. I'm sort of stupid that way. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was described as a cross between a Vox and a Trainwreck. Not sure that's entirely true, but I don't have any experience with Trainwrecks in person so I can't say for sure on that part. It's way more chimey than the MDT or HXDA (or any plexi-like amp) but it has a VERY aggressive crunch.

Only had just a bit of time with it so far, so I'll wait until I get to know it more before commenting too much. The most obvious standout though is that the 30W version is just right for gigging in clubs. Volume dimed and master at 3/4 with top cut centered and boost engaged puts the amp exactly where I want it to be. The amp isn't for high gain players who want to get their gain from the amp, but after a bit of playing around, it takes to the OCD and PlimSoul way better than any other PRS amp I have or have tried. And, the amp cleans up better than any PRS amp that I have or have tried with the volume dimed using the guitar volume. Initial impression is two thumbs waaay up. Anyway, a couple more pics...

DGA-5_zpsad61a0f6.jpg

Nice review. This amp would look awesome covered in Fawn with that Vox grill cloth and the Mahogany front.

You mentiontioned that the DG cabs are different- no baffle? Don't you need a baffle to mount the speakers? :confused:

Back