DG Custom 30/50 vs Dallas 50

Adam O.

Hey there guys...... I was just wondering if maybe someone could give me a little insight or your opinion on comparing the DG Custom 30 or 50 to the Dallas 50. Any thoughts??? I currently own a Dallas 50 4x10 Combo, but I have an interest in the DG Custom 50. How do these amps stack up tonally? I know there's a bunch of you guys that have owned both of these so I figured I'd ask the pros. Thanks.

There may be more Dallas aficionados out there, but I've played through a couple, and own a DG30 and here's my take... I see the Dallas as sort of a Deluxe Reverb on steroids. So right off the bat, if you see it differently, you'll know to disregard everything else I say.... The DG30, to me, is pretty much a completely unique voice. It's similar in the sense that the way it seems to want to be used is as a base tone with pedals to taste.... But to me, they are very different amps, and respond very differently. I've heard people compare the DG30 to a VOX, and I can sort of see the similarities, but that doesn't do the DG justice. If your real question is if getting a DG30 somehow is too much of an overlap with the Dallas, I'd say definitely not. I can't speak to the DG50, as I've never played one (or even heard one in person...)

Aristotle is the authority here on this topic (see his wall-amps!). DG's approach to 50w amps with Doug Sewell has been heavily EL34-based. Maybe exclusively. The amps he championed before the DG sig series were the HX/DA and the Super Dallas, both EL34 amps. The original Dallas series, like Aristotle mentioned, are like big Deluxe Reverbs with 6L6s. Maybe even a Twin. Though I've never had DG50 at my disposal to make a direct comparison, I have spent time with a Dallas (even one from hell!) and they're nowhere the same amp as the Super Dallas. And when DG demo'ed the DG50, I instantly heard the SuperD's influence. Very similar. So, the original Dallas is a different and unique animal.

I heard the Vox influence in the DG30, no doubt, but it's also its own animal. I heard the Super Dallas similarity in the DG50 instantly, too. But they all do something unique and actually do way more than the demo videos portray. They are phenomenal instruments and you owe it to yourself to try them, if you have the opportunity. That's the only problem...not many in the wild, and even fewer on the used market.

The Custom 50 is another great amp with a different lineage than the others above, but is stellar in its own right. Again, it's completely different.

Here's an old video of DG demo'ing the HXDA then the SuperD...

...aVideo I took of His DG30 demo...

Then go checkout the 5 part video series of DG demo'ing most of the PRS amp line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Smith said in a recent video that the Dallas was designed to be a Super Reverb on steroids, and the Super Dallas is a super-Super Reverb on steroids. I agree with that; the Super Reverb is a 6L6 amp and to me the defining tone of a Deluxe is that 6V6 breakup. But I digress.

I have a DG30 as well. I have heard people say Vox, and I kind of scratch my head, because while it has a quartet of EL84Ms, to me it doesn't sound Vox except maybe at the very cleanest settings with the treble cranked up all the way. I'm hearing a lot of Tweed influence, maybe a bit of Magnatone, a bit go Gibson GA series, but mostly it sounds unique. I have one of the "first 20" with the BRIMAR NOS preamp tubes (one of which is going bad, I'm swapping that out today, and yes if you can find a 60s NOS BRIMAR they do go for $100 a pop!).

I'm quoting from Doug Sewell's PRS sheet on the amp about the difference between the 50 and 30:

"This amp {he is referring to the 50} was designed to be a bit more straightforward and scaled down.The circuit, tubes, and voicing are less prone to need the extra tweaking with this amp as it was not designed as a larger scaled clone of the 30. The master volume is located in the circuit differentlythan on the 30. It is a post-phase-inverter master and allows for a touch more independence of thepreamp distortion to the power amp distortion. In other words, the player can dial in preamp distortion with the volume control and the overall volume can be dialed down with the master without affecting the gain as much."

In any case, it's not like a Dallas.

Like Aristotle, I haven't heard a 50 Watt version live, but the 30 and 50 have differences in how the Master volume works according to the sheet I got from PRS about the two amps. I can't speak to the preamp sections.

The 30 is a very, very versatile amp, though fair warning, it's a big boy amp in the sense that it sounds best pretty loud. It takes pedals extremely well if you're into that, and distorts in a unique way that almost puts a "halo" of grit around a note, yet the note itself shines clearly almost as though it isn't distorted. It's hard to explain, but it's a cool thing.

Also expect to take some time learning its ins and outs. The amp is a tweaker's delight, but at first you may be puzzled about it. My suggestion is to start with the Master up around 2 o'clock, and then dial in the gain, etc. That'll give you an idea of what the amp's range is, you'll get what's happening, and then start adjusting from there in terms of finding the right MV setting.

The boost control on the rear panel almost makes it a different amp. About halfway on the gain control (the preamp gain) the amp changes character noticeably, and there is a volume "push". All this stuff gives you a very wide range of tones, and makes the amp a wonderful thing to play - and play around with!

Also the DG cab isn't just a matching cab in terms of looks. It's really an important adjunct to the tone of the amp by virtue of its pine construction, porting, etc. In fact, the DG cab isn't a "do-all" kind of thing, it's really not a cab that works with every amp, and that tells me that the two go hand in hand. My DG30 sounds much better with it, so factor that into the equation.

Last edited:
Wow...... Thanks guys! All of your posts have been very helpful. Like I said, I currently own a Dallas 50, so I'm looking for something a little different. I wanted something that can get a little more growl, or maybe even some Marshallish type of sounds, but yet cleans up great. I also wanted reverb. I'd hate to have to buy a pedal for that. That's why I was thinking DG50. The non-reverb is the only thing steering me away from an HXDA. After reading all of your posts I don't think the DG amps are what I'm looking for. I'm stumped........ Maybe the Super Dallas with a 2x12 cab? I mean, it has the cleans and the reverb, but can it get a British like tone?

Maybe the Super Dallas with a 2x12 cab? I mean, it has the cleans and the reverb, but can it get a British like tone?
In short, yes, but it needs a little help. I leverage either a BB Preamp or a Lovepedal Kalamazoo Gold and it gets a classic AC/DC instantly. With the EL34s pushed a little, the BB brings the Plexi to the surface. I might add, I have a custom mod...a bass cut feature that makes a huge difference in the Marshall character. It tightens things up nicely. However, Aristotle can demo much more realistic Marshall tone with the Anniversary, HXDA, and MDT/Custom 50.

And, imho, the normal pine 2x12 cab is the secret weapon. It is an absolutely perfect match to the SuperD.

Last edited:
I also wanted reverb. I'd hate to have to buy a pedal for that. That's why I was thinking DG50. The non-reverb is the only thing steering me away from an HXDA.

IMHO a great sounding amp doesn't really need reverb.The HXDA has a very liquid sound that stands on its own, it's not the dry Fender sound that begs for reverb. Then again, I rarely use the reverb on my DG30. I find it gets in the way when it's time to mix a track for my work.

The HXDA is an amazing amp, an incredible amp in every way.

If you have a Dallas with reverb, you have those reverb tones covered. I use a little delay with my HXDA, and it sounds great when I need that (recently picked up a Fulltone tape echo that makes the delay even more awesomer! ;)).

Back