DG 2x12 or Stealth 2x12 with 12T75's?

I have the stealth cab and love it. I had one with the stock vintage 30's and another with one v30 and a cream back. I thought initially that the mixed one was better but after doing a good side by side the 2 V30 one was better much to my surprise.

I had a G12T - 100. It was NOT for me and I got rid of it. I much prefer G12 75T V30 or Creambacks.

I have the stealth cab and love it. I had one with the stock vintage 30's and another with one v30 and a cream back. I thought initially that the mixed one was better but after doing a good side by side the 2 V30 one was better much to my surprise.

I had a G12T - 100. It was NOT for me and I got rid of it. I much prefer G12 75T V30 or Creambacks.
The G12 75's are awesome sounding.
I may take flack for saying this, but they fall into a nice middle ground between Marshall and Mesa.

I just found this video on Youtube that compares the 30's, and the 12T75's.
I know you're not a metal guy, but you can hear the saturation difference between the two speakers.

Thanks for that! Totally hear a huge difference with that amp, settings and style.

Here’s V30s thru a pine 2x12 that many of us heard in person a few years ago. That amp with a different cab and speakers just doesn’t bloom the same...

That's both good to hear, and a great idea.
I was tooling around on the Avatar site, thinking about doing that before I made this post.

Seems like Avatar is somewhat of an open secret. I looked at their speakers, the "Hellatones", which seem to be modded Celestion's. It seems like a good idea to play around with speaker types. The prices are great, so why not?

Thanks to you, I am pumped about getting that recto cab even more now.

I like the Hellatones. They're already broken in. I actually have one (Hellatone A50 Alnico) sitting here to put into the Recto. Thought I'd try 1 V30 and 1 Alnico to see what I get.

Leather custom job eh? Well you are a serious tool. :) I bow to your toolness. :)

Haha! I’m toolsome.

Here’s my excuse...in the early 90s, Mesa introduced the Tremoverb, and for a little while, they came with a black leather covering, stock. After a while they discontinued it. But it wore like iron.

I used it in my studio for ten years, and then my son gigged it in his high school punk band, and later in college. The thing held up much better than Tolex. Leather’s pretty tough stuff, the myth is that it’s fragile, but think about whether your shoes would hold up as well if they were Tolex.

So...I kinda liked the way leather held up. That’s what I tell the world, anyway.

Truth is, I’m just into leather. ;)

Here’s a shot of my amps, the Mesa’s on the right.

wuFw5Ka.jpg

Last edited:
To the topic: G12T are scooped with big lows and lots of highs, V30 are mid-peaked, soft on the highs and lows. With modern amps set to get heavy saturation, the V30 keeps the bass tight and the highs from getting too ice-pick. They also break up a bit, adding to the richness of the harmonic structure.

They are not the best for clean tones, but workable.

The vertical recto 2x12 is the best cab. Period.

To the topic: G12T are scooped with big lows and lots of highs, V30 are mid-peaked, soft on the highs and lows. With modern amps set to get heavy saturation, the V30 keeps the bass tight and the highs from getting too ice-pick. They also break up a bit, adding to the richness of the harmonic structure.

They are not the best for clean tones, but workable.

The vertical recto 2x12 is the best cab. Period.

Having owned a horizontal recto cab, and having recorded lots of horizontal and vertical recto cabs (both are great cabs, and sonically very much alike close-miked), I’d say they’re among the very best cabs.

I used my horizontal recto with the HXDA and it sounded great, but moving to the Grissom cab with my DG30 was a huge improvement - for that amp. Though I also like the PRS Big Mouth cab with the HXDA a little more, perhaps because the cab was designed for that series of amps?

In any event, the DG cab wouldn’t be my first choice for metal or hard rock. It’s ported, and for those kinds of sounds, I prefer closed-back.

Haha! I’m toolsome.

Here’s my excuse...in the early 90s, Mesa introduced the Tremoverb, and for a little while, they came with a black leather covering, stock. After a while they discontinued it. But it wore like iron.

I used it in my studio for ten years, and then my son gigged it in his high school punk band, and later in college. The thing held up much better than Tolex. Leather’s pretty tough stuff, the myth is that it’s fragile, but think about whether your shoes would hold up as well if they were Tolex.

So...I kinda liked the way leather held up. That’s what I tell the world, anyway.

Truth is, I’m just into leather. ;)

Here’s a shot of my amps, the Mesa’s on the right.

wuFw5Ka.jpg

Just damn man...
MUCH respect. You are a Master Tool. :)
Your setup is exceptional.

I'm not going to touch the "being into leather" joke opportunity :) Too easy :)
But I do agree with you. Huge fan of leather myself. I'm enough of a tool to buy handmade leather dress shoes. My laptop bag is the most sublime, vintaged leather... Your investment in a leather wrapped amp, now makes a lot of sense. Well, that's the rationalization anyways. :)

I think I'd be worried about the "ports" on the back of the DG cab if I were metal-ing. I figure if I was regularly running a screw into the center post of a Marshall 1960a cab through the back, those lil' speaker grill thingys on the back of the DG would be flapping around when I set my low E string to mosh.

I have very little experience with PRS cabs though, and my fears have no actual basis in fact.

I'm not sure how the new 75's are, but in the 80's I had more than a few 4x12 cabs with 12-75's in them. I hated them for one solitary reason...when the voice coils heated up, the midrange dropped out like someone came over and dumped the mids on my amps...very noticeable and my soundman noticed as well. That, and the top end had this hideous "beating on a trashcan lid" overtone. Once I figured out what the problem was, I sold them all and never looked back. YMMV.

I'm not sure how the new 75's are, but in the 80's I had more than a few 4x12 cabs with 12-75's in them. I hated them for one solitary reason...when the voice coils heated up, the midrange dropped out like someone came over and dumped the mids on my amps...very noticeable and my soundman noticed as well. That, and the top end had this hideous "beating on a trashcan lid" overtone. Once I figured out what the problem was, I sold them all and never looked back. YMMV.
Are you sure you aren’t referencing the G12M70s? I still only have a pair in an old cab my son uses. Of course, he loves them!
cabs4.jpg

Are you sure you aren’t referencing the G12M70s? I still only have a pair in an old cab my son uses. Of course, he loves them!
cabs4.jpg

SPOT ON. Thank you for catching that and the correction. YUP those would be the ones...G12-70's....never again. But I'm glad they work for your son. Maybe he's not driving them hard enough to heat up the voice coils and have the mids dump...or maybe Celestion conquered that issue in later production runs of those. Mine were from @ mid 1980's...with typical working stage volume at that time... loud but not ridiculously so. I went to original Fane Crescendo's after that for the bigger cabs before going to V30's (not my cup of tea personally, I found) and then ultimately downsizing my rigs entirely.

CHEERS!

SPOT ON. Thank you for catching that and the correction. YUP those would be the ones...G12-70's....never again. But I'm glad they work for your son. Maybe he's not driving them hard enough to heat up the voice coils and have the mids dump...or maybe Celestion conquered that issue in later production runs of those. Mine were from @ mid 1980's...with typical working stage volume at that time... loud but not ridiculously so. I went to original Fane Crescendo's after that for the bigger cabs before going to V30's (not my cup of tea personally, I found) and then ultimately downsizing my rigs entirely.

CHEERS!
:D It’s all good, buddy! Like you, these were the bane of my musical existence back in the early 80s and didn’t learn to abandon them for Greenbacks until I went over to the Boogie camp in ‘89. I thought an old Marshall 1960a/b was just an old cab and not for me. :oops::rolleyes: Man, the stupidity of youth!

My son probably doesn’t push these too hard. There aren’t venues that allow that volume anymore but it would be interesting to give them a try again. They’re in an open-back 2x12 cab I built in ‘81 and makes the M70s act differently from the closed back 1960. With a cranked Egnator and his Gretsch, he’s pretty happy.

With a cranked Egnator and his Gretsch, he’s pretty happy.

Boog, I know you already agree with this, but just to repeat the mantra for those who haven’t thought about things in this way...

A guitar rig’s components don’t live in a vacuum; they can only be evaluated in context. Put the same speaker in a different cab, use it with a different amp or guitar, even different pedals, and the equation may change.

There’s no “best,” there’s no “worst,” there’s only “different.”

A guitar rig’s components don’t live in a vacuum; they can only be evaluated in context. Put the same speaker in a different cab, use it with a different amp or guitar, even different pedals, and the equation may change.
+100

perfect example of which is, I tried an Archon 25 with the GT75 in it and didn't like the speaker at all. Also didn't like it the other times and amps I tried it with. yet... it's probably on a large percentage of the 80s rock music I love so much because MOST of that was Marshall stacks and the scooped mids tone that worked so well for it was often not greenbacks, but 75s.

Back