Detune Problem After Vibrato Bar Scoop On 1 String

Axel Schick

Hello guy,

i have a problem with my SE Mikael Åkerfeldt. The guitar has a PRS tremolo system.
After doing a down bend with the tremolo (Scoop) the B-string is out of tune. It is tuned too high.
When i do a normal band afterwards on this string the tune is perfect again. Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem. Maybe the nut (i hope it's the right terminology for that thing. In Germany it is called "saddle") is too tight for the string? But i use regular 009- ... strings so that should not be the problem.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Axel

Tremolo intonation problems always point toward the two points of contract, the nut and the bridge/saddles. Start by cleaning and lubricating the nut slots, then lube the bridge pivot screws, then the string contact points on the saddles.

Hello and welcome.

From what you describe it does appear, as you already suspect, that the string is catching in the nut slot.

My advice is to try to make the nut slot just a little wider (not deeper) with a thin file or sandpaper. There are some especially formulated and expensive lubricating products that you can buy to help the issue too. I use a very tiny amount of olive oil applied with a toothpick.

Did you buy the guitar recently? Is it your first PRS?

Also, Sometimes we can hear a click sound when we use the trem bar. I place my ear to the body or the headstock, like a stethoscope imagine, and dive up and down with the bar to try to find out where it is coming from.

Hello and welcome.

From what you describe it does appear, as you already suspect, that the string is catching in the nut slot.

My advice is to try to make the nut slot just a little wider (not deeper) with a thin file or sandpaper. There are some especially formulated and expensive lubricating products that you can buy to help the issue too. I use a very tiny amount of olive oil applied with a toothpick.

I own this baby for about 2 years now. The problem was there from the start but I didn't noticed at the start...

Hello and welcome.

Thanks. I'll try that and report back...

Back