detach piezo

Jimmy C

Since piezo sounds like butt when run through a tube amp and mag pups sound like butt when run through a PA why would I ever use the signal mix out of my P22? What I want to do is separate the 2 signals completely and take the 3 way toggle out of the circuit. Please educate me on why I'm wrong or send me some information on which wires to cut to do this.

Not sure I see why you'd like to get rid of the switch, but you can run a cable from the mix/mag for the mag pups, and a cable from the piezo out to PA.
Totally separate.

Not sure I see why you'd like to get rid of the switch, but you can run a cable from the mix/mag for the mag pups, and a cable from the piezo out to PA.
Totally separate.
DM thank you for your reply. I can do that but I have to consider the position of the toggle and how it effects the blend output, and I don't have 2 independent volume controls which would be easier to control the 2 different sounds. There seems to be no benefit to the blend (just more complexity) and no drawbacks or weakness to having seperate systems with dedicated volume knobs.

First, I think you can get interesting sounds with extra "sparkle" running the mix signal into an amp. Second, when you use the two outputs separately, the blend knob changes to a dedicated piezo volume control, with the mag volume working independently. Also, you can always run the two signals through two volume pedals. I personally use the snapshot mode on my line 6 Helix, used as a pedalboard with a tube amp and a PA, to switch mag/piezo (and fx/amp channels etc.) at the touch of a footswitch.

First, I think you can get interesting sounds with extra "sparkle" running the mix signal into an amp. Second, when you use the two outputs separately, the blend knob changes to a dedicated piezo volume control, with the mag volume working independently. Also, you can always run the two signals through two volume pedals. I personally use the snapshot mode on my line 6 Helix, used as a pedalboard with a tube amp and a PA, to switch mag/piezo (and fx/amp channels etc.) at the touch of a footswitch.
Thanks for saving me the effort to type all that.

Goat Roper thank you. I appreciate the suggestions for hooking up and using the piezo/mag. I want to see and try lots of options before I mod the wiring. I like stock hardware but I need to be educated. Currently I run dedicated cables to my amp and PA because I don't know a better way.

Goat Roper thank you. I appreciate the suggestions for hooking up and using the piezo/mag. I want to see and try lots of options before I mod the wiring. I like stock hardware but I need to be educated. Currently I run dedicated cables to my amp and PA because I don't know a better way.

That's a great way to do it, you may have just missed the way the third knob changes from blend to piezo volume depending on if you plug into just "mix/mag" or both outputs.
You can also greatly improve the realism of the acoustic tone using an acoustic impulse response processor like a Fisman Aura or by loading acoustic IRs into something like a Helix.

Did you figure out what to do?
I'm wanting to disconnect the Piezo entirely. Might be in my head but seems like it still colors it even with the switch down. I had a PRS Hollowbody before w/o piezo and preferred that sound but wanted a new (non beat up one). Maybe it's just the 58/15lt's? Does just taking out the battery do it or do I need to cut a wire?

If you haven’t looked inside the piezo system is a whole extra PCBA inside that the mag pickups are only one input to.

Last edited:
Did you figure out what to do?
I'm wanting to disconnect the Piezo entirely. Might be in my head but seems like it still colors it even with the switch down. I had a PRS Hollowbody before w/o piezo and preferred that sound but wanted a new (non beat up one). Maybe it's just the 58/15lt's? Does just taking out the battery do it or do I need to cut a wire?

I think you are hearing different guitars, not necessarily the piezo being in the guitar. Different woods, different bridge, and different pickups are going to sound different.

Yes, you CAN yank to piezo out, replace the pots and bridge. It has been done before. It's going to drastically alter your resell, if that is a concern. If you pull it out, I'll swap you a Mannmade bridge for the piezo components. :)

I would just pull the battery. Same result, less destructive.

To remove the system entirely I think you could get away with just taking out the piezo PCBA and hooking the mag pickup outputs straight to a new jack (existing one is built into the PCBA).

Last edited:
I would just pull the battery. Same result, less destructive.
I wish that worked, others stated it turns off both sets.

I think you are hearing different guitars, not necessarily the piezo being in the guitar. Different woods, different bridge, and different pickups are going to sound different.

Yes, you CAN yank to piezo out, replace the pots and bridge. It has been done before. It's going to drastically alter your resell, if that is a concern. If you pull it out, I'll swap you a Mannmade bridge for the piezo components. :)
Same woods, same bridge. Both current and previous were HBII's.
Sadly PRS doesn't make them sans piezo anymore and I got no takers on the gear page. I care a little about resale so I'd rather sell it than butcher it. :(

Understood, but all wood is different, and the HB II has more wood interactions going on. I have yet to hear two HBs that sound alike with no obvious differences. The bridges ARE different, in that your current guitar has the piezo bridge and saddles.

I'm not trying to argue (especially not semantics, as I get tons of that with my 9 year old!). I just wanted to point out my experiences trying to compare guitars, especially with differences that I consider to be important. Not that I'm an expert!

For example, when I first sold my P-22 with a stoptail in favor of a trem version, I was initially disappointed. It's a different guitar. After some tweaks, I'm really happy with the trem and definitely think it's a more classic PRS, but with the added flexibility of the piezo.

Understood, but all wood is different, and the HB II has more wood interactions going on. I have yet to hear two HBs that sound alike with no obvious differences. The bridges ARE different, in that your current guitar has the piezo bridge and saddles.

I'm not trying to argue (especially not semantics, as I get tons of that with my 9 year old!). I just wanted to point out my experiences trying to compare guitars, especially with differences that I consider to be important. Not that I'm an expert!

For example, when I first sold my P-22 with a stoptail in favor of a trem version, I was initially disappointed. It's a different guitar. After some tweaks, I'm really happy with the trem and definitely think it's a more classic PRS, but with the added flexibility of the piezo.
Gotcha, I should probably spend a bit more time with her and then sell it if I can't get the non-piezo thing to work then.

Mag output dies without the battery as well. If you haven’t looked inside the piezo system is a whole extra PCBA inside that the mag pickups are only one input to.

If you remove the battery you’ll get no output on either jack. To remove the system entirely I think you could get away with just taking out the piezo PCBA and hooking the mag pickup outputs straight to a new jack (existing one is built into the PCBA).

I have a 2010 HBll SC with the piezo pickup and whether the battery is dead or removed the mag pickups still work on there own. Just plug into the mag/piezo mixed output jack and select the mag pickups only with the mini 3 way selector switch. A PDF copy of the operating instructions for the piezo system are available on the PRS website under support/customer support center.

Last edited:
Back