Design on a Dimebag.

Hey there!

Since Hans sent me a bunch of Gumby gold, I decided to go with a mixed hardware look. The only problem I had was that there was gonna be a mis-match with the bridge pieces I already had, the easy thing to do would be to drop some coin on some gold/brass saddles, but that wouldn't be any fun, and this is called "Design on a Dimebag" so I felt compelled to work with those perfectly fine nickel plated saddles I already have.

I discussed the idea of removing the nickel plating to reveal the brass with Hans when we were making a deal for the winged tuners, you see I had already f&#*ed up my first set of PRS saddles twenty years ago and knew there was some shiny brass underneath, so I figured it was time to ruin another set.

I sat down with a bottle of crappy Pinot Noir, some sandpaper, steel wool, and a file and went to work. I slightly disfigured the first one trying to use sandpaper on a vibrating palm sander, I positioned it upside down and held the saddle between my raw fingers until they went numb, it's three days later and I am finally beginning to get feeling back in them.

That got the nickel the off, but not in a real elegant fashion. Next I decided to file it off, only going in one direction and being careful not to go too deep. It worked quite well actually, leaving a "machined" kinda look to them. If I don't break strings like crazy I may look around for a single nickel saddle to make them all exactly the same.

I apologize for the worst photo, I honestly could not take a worse one if I tried, but it's more to show the color in contrast to the gold trem arm. I would take another but... well lets just say the next post should be entitled; "Move That Bus"! I'm a little to far along into the next stage to ruin the big reveal.

IMG_1108_zpsbc7be6a0.jpg

I honestly could not take a worse one if I tried

IMG_1108_zpsbc7be6a0.jpg

Wow. People always talk about "sorry for the crappy cell phone pics," "wait until I get home with a real camera," "I'm not a good picture-taker," etc..
Those people have no idea what they're talking about.

Kidding, it's just bangin' avant-garde photography. :)

Wow. People always talk about "sorry for the crappy cell phone pics," "wait until I get home with a real camera," "I'm not a good picture-taker," etc..
Those people have no idea what they're talking about.

Kidding, it's just bangin' avant-garde photography. :)

No kidding, Sergio has taken it to a new level. Albeit a lower level, but a no level nonetheless.

It's a distraction technique. If I post a crappy pic before the real pics your expectations will be lower, with lower expectations you will then be in an emotional state of elation when I am able to post a pic that is in focus.

Bigfoot is brown, Yeti's on the other hand are white..............

Well... I was about to make another wise crack about that bridge photo but...

Wow! Excellent job and it looks classy to boot! I wasn't sure when I heard about mixing gold and nickel before but.. It works.

Thanks so much for the kind words guys, I can't believe it's actually done already.

Hans, thanks for everything. The mixed hardware idea of yours really has me psyched about the look, and the wingers were a really important feature for me. Getting to open a fresh bag of those guys is an experience I will always remember, and a joy I can't really explain to anybody else but you guys.

themike, your generous gift of the McCarty pickups totally changed the direction I was planning on going in. The time constraints I put on myself for this project along with the incredible gifts I received made me realize that this guitar has a will of its own. Thank you my friend, I will never forget what you have done for me ,and I am having a hard time discarding the envelope that you sent with the words: "Sergio Tech Center" on it, I can't wait to thank you in person.

Bill (rugerpc), I so enjoyed our PMing during the DGT election's that it means so much to me to have your old jack plate. Everytime I do the ol' "in and out" with this guitar I will think of you!

Shawn, thanks for the encouragement and praise. It was a big deal to have to do this in front of everybody here, it made me step my game up and try to do my best knowing that if I S#!t the bed I would be doing it in public. Doing it in front of you, and knowing how you must see the most insane workmanship on a daily basis made me really "nut up", and I can say this is the best job in guitar rescue I have ever done. No worries though, I could never compete with the job the PTC does and I most certainly won't be stealing any business!!!

For everybody else who offered encouragement and praise, thank you! I did this in the middle of the worst heartbreak I have ever experienced, you will notice my tone was pretty "matter of fact" at the beginning and not my usual free-spirited smart-ass attitude. Having a project of this magnitude while moving and seeing my whole life's plan change made getting my second PRS in twenty years pretty bittersweet, sharing and getting such positive feedback really helped my attitude.

So there are a couple of details I should share; the electronics are set up as vol/vol/ 3way, the McBass is set up as a single coil only and sounds great. I was going for a Tele kind of vibe, and I'm really digging it so far. The WF neck feels great and I'm sure in a week or two I won't miss those last two frets, and I'm really digging the more "vintage" tones that are coming out of it in comparison to my other PRS, I just know this one is going to get played a lot!

A little while back I started a "deal breaker" thread where I said blue guitars were an absolute no-no for me, I no longer feel that way and am growing as a person.... Now I just look for blue PRS and wonder what one would look like with a white back and a gold top!

Sergio, Congrats..looks amazing. I am blowin away by the job you did on that especially under the circumstances (using a bathroom to dry the paint, brilliant!)

And to everybody who donated to Sergio..you guys are awesome!

Back