Design On A Dimebag V. The Horror Episode

This is epic! I wish I had your skills. So, I if send you one, can you do mine in .... Sparkle blue metallic?!?!?
With a white back of course!

Yeah! But sparkle is hard. Design On A Dimebag 3 or 4 was a gold sparkle SE CU24 with a white back... the poly clear coat has sunken into the glittery sparkle paint over the years making the top kinda dull. It totally requires a ton of clear to do heavy flake jobs, even my SE Orianthi which came sparkled from the factory has sunken over the years too.

So, “word” on the street (Bodia BLVD) is that the Bernie is “the” SE to snag, relic’d or not. I’ve been watching for one for months since I got “the word.”

It might be...

What's the latest on it dude? Is it ready yet? Since old red is on a warpath about baby #2 (the "thing" I'm working on) I figure instead of shopping for #3 new it's time to pump the brakes and look for a "previously loved" aka "previously beat slap out Sergio inspired ScottR Overhauled edition" to add to the pile. Honestly, when this started I was all up in some black Strat grills and I thought I might do one myself..until I saw you're kick ass versions and now I gotta do a PRS...and since a Bernie was next on my, SE's I can't live without list...I'm heading in that direction as we speak. So I'm gonna go ahead and blame this one on you bro...cool? Thinkin about something to transform into a creamsickle kinda thing...Please update the status of this redux man..can't wait to see it when it's fin!

Do it!!! I'll update you in a minute, thanks for asking.

If this episode was a bed, I'd have to change the sheets, 'cause I have literally sh!t all over it.

The razoring on the headstock turned out well, so well in fact that I figured I could do the sides as easily and in half the time. Well, it looked like crap compared to the real checking on the top. I also went way overboard with the relicing... The reason why you see so many sh!tty looking relics out there where it looks like it got humped by a belt sander is, it's so easy to take it too far.

I'll admit that while it was totally worth the giggles coming out of my son's mouth as I dropped a sock with various metal bits onto the guitar, I pushed it. I went over the edge.

See, I owned this Bangin'! Gibson LP Deluxe that I had to sell to make rent one day. It was attacked by a jealous girlfriend with a knife, owned by a chainsmoker (that put my ever pluming habit to shame), and was modified for hum buckers with what must have been a dull soup spoon. It was beat, but I loved it, and even by it's standard... this guitar I was doing was starting to look gnarly.

So I started over. I decided that it would be best to spray the whole body in nitro and do the freeze thing. It just looks more authentic and it's super easy.

During a trip Paco took to his great grandmas house, and with my girl at a work function, I had about 2-3 hours to run to Home Depot, get distracted by the 75% off Halloween lighting, buy some black paint and new sanding disks, and get home to sand the finish off.... In the rain, under my front stoop's overhang, and in the mostly dark by the light of a single 60 watt bulb.

When the phone call came that my beloved and son were about 20 mins away from arriving home, I did what any sane person would do: I hurriedly taped and masked the binding off and went to wildly spray paint the guitar out front. In the rain. In the dark. Well, mostly dark. I left the front door open a crack for more light and maximum backdraft of noxious fumes into our house.

Pqcbejj.jpg

icYanV4.jpg

lZDCMpb.jpg

There's a break in the weather this weekend (temperature wise, it'll still be raining) that I needed to get the guitar prepped for so I could spray the f@ck outta it. Even though it wouldn't be the first DOAD where I sprayed a guitar in a snowstorm (see episode #1) I was hoping to avoid it. With the back and sides done, I could get the overspray back off the top and be able to mask it up for gold tomorrow... or so I thought.

SROeZif.jpg

Ha! Seriously? WTF was I smoking? Answer: Nothing. Probably part of the problem. I could've used that obsessive focus on details and paranoia that smoking weed can produce.

Not that it's the end of the world or anything but, I gotta figure something out to sand back, respray, and blend the black while keeping to my timeline.

(sigh)

You're giving me ideas...

Those SE finishes do seem thicker than S2/core. I'd like to try one with a thinner finish on. How are you getting it off? And what are you using to do the nitro spray?

I saw a gold top with a pearl white back recently... yeah, I'm going there. Design on a Dimebag VI: The Pearl Necklace.

Screw the timeline Sergio. You’re doing this in rare free time. Soak it up. Feel the passion. It gets done, or redone, when it’s time comes.

I do like the do over. I’m usually to lazy to start over. Or maybe am too full of myself to admit I went over the line and back up.

I feel you, I just don't want to let it sit through the winter. Believe me, I wanted to be lazy. Doing this in front of you guys has always helped me try that extra little bit. And with it being a "relic", which the majority of people here this is ridiculous (hey, I do too, but that's part of why I'm doing it. DOAD stuff gas always been a bit subversive), I want it to be more of a taste thing than I did a real sh!tty job.

Serg, I have no opinion about the guitar, but you’d clearly benefit from making yourself a portable spray booth to use in your garage.

Ha! It's okay if you do. I know you're being polite, you don't have to be.

I'd love a portable booth or something.. I'm just trying to be nice to an upstairs neighbor who has a bedroom above my garage. I don't wanna gas her to death.

Hah! This truly IS a halloween special :)

Bu I don't doubt it'll end up looking spectacular.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm not sure if it's warranted... but I appreciate it.

You're giving me ideas...

Those SE finishes do seem thicker than S2/core. I'd like to try one with a thinner finish on. How are you getting it off? And what are you using to do the nitro spray?

I saw a gold top with a pearl white back recently... yeah, I'm going there. Design on a Dimebag VI: The Pearl Necklace.

The SE finishes are way thicker than Core. The top coat and color aren't all that that thick, but the filler and base coat that they'll spray color over are.

I'm using a rotary sander and the hand sanding the spots I can't get to safely. The trick is to go slow... and use decent lighting. :rolleyes: I haven't come across a chemical stripper I feel safe enough to use that the SE poly won't just laugh at and give the middle finger to.

The nitro spray (in aerosol form) is MinWax black. It looks like this:
IqQMrbi.jpg

It's about $9-10 and readily available at Home Depot (at least out here). I'm not sure how it'll react to guitar stand foam/rubber as I haven't finished a guitar with one until now, but it's super easy to work with, dries quickly (relatively speaking), and you don't have to worry about sheeting. Every layer you spray onto it "melts" into the previous one. It also shined up nicely before I f@cked it up.

Yeah! I did that SE CU24 in gold sparkle with a white back a few years ago, it's a great look.

You know, with this one I was originally only planning on painting the top. In theory I thought that it'd be easier, and if I hadn't gotten out the razor blade, it would have worked flawlessly. I'd recommend finding a white 245 and just do the top.

So, “word” on the street (Bodia BLVD) is that the Bernie is “the” SE to snag, relic’d or not. I’ve been watching for one for months since I got “the word.”

Yup, I've been checking out reverb for a minute...none I would call beaters by any stretch of my vivid imagination. I'm thinking it's gonna be a while (if ever) before I find one that falls into my idea of a "beater". Might just end up doing a 22 or maybe a 245? Currently I am trying to close the deal on the "thing" I've been after for 2 weeks approaching 3. I'm a decent multi tasker...but trying to pull off another thing, look for my "Sergio" inspired project AND not be sentenced to death by cheeseburger a.k.a (executed by the redhead) is a challenge!

It is! You're looking for one? Hit me up!

Why yes, yes I am do you know a guy that has one...In what back alley or smokey dive bar do I meet this dude? Do tell...wait the redhead didn't put you up to this dis she? Note to self: buy body armor, and hire a lookout, check surroundings for any gingers...

The SE finishes are way thicker than Core. The top coat and color aren't all that that thick, but the filler and base coat that they'll spray color over are.

I'm using a rotary sander and the hand sanding the spots I can't get to safely. The trick is to go slow... and use decent lighting. :rolleyes: I haven't come across a chemical stripper I feel safe enough to use that the SE poly won't just laugh at and give the middle finger to.

The nitro spray (in aerosol form) is MinWax black. It looks like this:
IqQMrbi.jpg

It's about $9-10 and readily available at Home Depot (at least out here). I'm not sure how it'll react to guitar stand foam/rubber as I haven't finished a guitar with one until now, but it's super easy to work with, dries quickly (relatively speaking), and you don't have to worry about sheeting. Every layer you spray onto it "melts" into the previous one. It also shined up nicely before I f@cked it up.

Yeah! I did that SE CU24 in gold sparkle with a white back a few years ago, it's a great look.

You know, with this one I was originally only planning on painting the top. In theory I thought that it'd be easier, and if I hadn't gotten out the razor blade, it would have worked flawlessly. I'd recommend finding a white 245 and just do the top.

Dude I gotta tell ya, I haven't had a chance to look back at your others. Red had an appointment to get her hair did, leaving me home alone with my geetar! I finally get to stretch my little tube amps sonic legs! I still sucked...But I released my suck on the world! I have a black heart and I enjoy torturing my neighbors...it's just what I do.

Anyway you sir are an artiste' I am inspired watching this. Ya know man...There is a market for this kinda stuff! A boutique type thing...it may already be a thing, if not born you should look into it for real! The detail is awesome and you definitely have the art chops to pull it off IMHO! I have loved watching Shawn's 15 year thing, those dudes do it for a living everyday...but there is something about a guy creating a cool one of a kind on his own dime, creativity has no bounds or time line especially when it's something as killer as one of our beloved PRSi! Les' suggestion of at home paint booth. I have a friend that made one to paint custom graphics on motorcycle helmets...If I possibly can I'll try to get in touch with him to see what materials he used and how he assembled it. Forgive my marketing self...In between girls, weed and beer I did soak up a few things in college before I bailed! Probably thru osmosis cause its kind of a blur...kinda hell! Yep definitely osmosis...keep bringing the heat dude. I love watching the whole process come together! Thanks again for the updates! Kudos bro! Kudos!

Why yes, yes I am do you know a guy that has one...In what back alley or smokey dive bar do I meet this dude? Do tell...wait the redhead didn't put you up to this dis she? Note to self: buy body armor, and hire a lookout, check surroundings for any gingers...

Nah, bra, I got your back. No plants here, only enablers!

And if you're really looking for one, PM me.

Good to know bodia! A fella can't be too careful these days.. in my world the threat alert never goes lower than code "red". Good lookin out man...so ya got a Bernie do ya? Very interesting...If the redhead asks I was asking for a friend...

Last edited:
No Bernie, but there's an already stripped down Orianthi on Reverb right now...:)

...In what smokey dive bar do I meet this dude?
Chances are good that, regardless of the one you go to, we'll be playing there. :rolleyes: In all my years of playing cruddy bars, no one has ever offered to buy my guitar. A drink, sure, but never a guitar. And if they did, it would probably involve a trade of a carton of off-brand smokes and a romp with the old lady. :eek: Just say no.

Back