Design On A Dimebag V. The Horror Episode

sergiodeblanc

For those of you that are new or don't remember, Design On A Dimebag was a series of threads I did a few years back where I would find a neglected, beat up, broken, or bruised guitar and fix it up. The guidelines were pretty simple: I had to use the most budget materials, drink a whole lot before making any serious decisions or using power tools, share my progress and pit falls with y'alls, and have a whole lot of fun along the way.

This time it's slightly different. I'm still (mostly) abiding by the same rules, but instead of taking a ruined guitar and fixing it up, I'm going to be ruining a perfectly good guitar.

Lets meet our victim, shall we?

z7CxcgE.jpg

Here's that beautiful black Bernie I bought a couple of weeks ago. It came shipped with .13's or something ridiculous on it. Having run outta strings (no doubt because of all the f@ckin' guitars in my house) I ventured off to a local store to buy a more manageable set of strings for it... Well, unbeknownst to me, all of the old stores in my area had closed down. :( Left with the options of driving way too far for some strings, or just ordering them online and waiting a couple of days, I decided on the later.

Not one to waste an afternoon off without my girl or my son at home, I found myself driving to the local Home Depot which is where all good horror stories begin. Armed with a Home Depot gift card I found myself picking up a few items for projects around the house, and when I looked up, I was inexplicably standing in the middle of the paint section.

I said to myself; "Aww, hell! Seriously, I gotta wait a couple of days for strings?!? I can't even play that guitar! I'm not in a f@cking Djent band... Who the hell sells a guitar with 13.'s, a wrapped G string on it, and tuned down to Z anyway?" That was it. Right there in that exact moment I had made my decision. I loaded up my arms with stuff, went home, and then this happened:

myOymm7.jpg

I went through my pile of gold spray paint (yes, I have a pile of gold spray paint, I'm f@cking fabulous, don't you know?) and decided to run back out to the store and pick up some more (you can never have enough gold).

I wanted to be able to match as closely as I could that wonderful hue of GoldTop! But... on a budget, you know? I made a test stick, sprayed my gumby gold, and decided on a color. Then I half-assedly taped up that sucker, poured another Dreamsicle* and painted while the sun disappeared over the horizon.

lhvk7xg.jpg

jar1RmF.jpg

You can see a bit of overspray that has leaked onto (not into) the binding. I did a barely passable job... Just like a real Gibson! ('cause you know, they only do a good enough job. ;) ) No matter a little acetone took it all off.

Aw hell yes! Tits magee!!!!!! I gotta a dremel and a billion attachments if you need anything.

However, as mentioned above when describing the D.O.A.D. rules, you mentioned drinking. We know the guitar's gonna be cool as [email protected] we really want to know is; what are you drinkin'?

... Who the hell sells a guitar with 13.'s, a wrapped G string on it, and tuned down to Z anyway?"

I take mass transit home from work, every day.

I read this...and busted out in a maniacal laughter that scared the riders AND the driver.

I believe I'll be forced into taking the train, starting Monday.

And I agree.....it needs more blue.

Back