Design on a Dimebag III: The Revenge of Sergio

sergiodeblanc

Maybe it was the margaritas, maybe it was because the pool was closed, maybe it was because I kept seeing this sell and then get re-listed on eBay and I felt sorry for it,or just maybe it was because every third act has to start out seeming hopeless, but I bought the most jacked up SE CU24 in the universe.

This brand new guitar got hit HARD! The fretboard got so jarred from an impact that it started to come apart from the neck and there are cracks along the poly traveling across the back and front of the body. The knobs are toast, the nut fell off after unwinding the strings.... things couldn't look any worse than they are but, you know how it goes: When life gives you limes... make margaritas!

Technically this is a new guitar that I bought from a dealer, I wonder if I'm eligible for the new "thank you" package?... I kid. :tongue:

I hope FedEx shipped it to you for free. You know that's who ran it over with their truck, right? :biggrin: Let the games begin...

Well, aside from the body, neck, and electronics, that's a fine guitar ya' got there. :laugh:

I love your fearlessness. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Thanks guys, this is gonna be fun.

That fine line between genius and mad...the place where Sergio lives.

Downers Grove Il. Equal distance between Fermi lab and the new murder capital of America. :rock:

I think I know what he's doing. It's going to be a wind chime like Shawn's cymbal. Guitar pieces hanging from guitar strings. Sad and beautiful at the same time. You should let Prince borrow it first though.

Good luck you crazy bastard...

Thanks!

If only that was all it needed... Oh wait, that's me you're talkin' about!! :redface:

This the donor for your new skate-tar?

I had thought about that, but I will rig that thing up a few days before the show so I got a minute. Nope! This one's gonna be a.......... GUITAR!

Alrighty then..

The fretboard has been glued back on, and fortunately the truss rod works. I pushed the broken bits back together with a metric hammer and some wood glue, and let it dry overnight (that was Friday). Yesterday I started sanding off the finish and spread some epoxy over the rest of the broken control area when I encountered my first "I am your father Luke" moment: underneath the bitchin' black cherry stain I found out..... IT"S BLUE!!!!! Arrrgh!!! I knew it! All guitars ARE actually blue! I know it doesn't look like it from the picture but it's really a slate-ish blue-ish hue.

I have heard all sorts of speculation as to what these guitars are made from, one outlandish person even said that they were made from balsa wood and cardboard. Not that I ever believed such s#!t, but just in case there is any doubt I present to you maple and mahogany.

The rest of the cracks are now filled with glue and epoxy waiting for me to return tomorrow morning from having some fun tonight. The day was mostly victorious except for two things: Mike's Hard Limeade tastes nothing at all like a margarita, and the second is that I finally joined the ranks of millions who broke their f@ckin' iPhone screen..... can I use epoxy to fix that?

Lookin' good!
Can't wait to see how this turns out. How does that neck feel sanded clean? I did that to an Epiphone I had and it felt 100x better than the original. What kind of epoxy are you using to put that together?

Back