Dented my guitar last night

My cu24 has a lot of dings on it since I've owned it but now I have a big down to the wood chip on back of neck. Not sure how this happened.

I've had my McCarty for 13 yrs. I got it with a small ding in the top. It was a Dallas Guitar show guitar and who knows what knuckledragger did it. It got 2 bills knocked off the price and you can't even see it when you're playing it as the forearm covers it. But recently, while moving around with a guitar stand, I dropped it and I heard that sickening thunk when it fell into my McCarty. It cracked the finish right at the bottom of the treble bout on the scrape binding and left a small but almost invisible blemish. I was pretty bummed and as is my OCD way, I started rubbing, I waxed it, I did pretty much anything I could think of, I removed the rough edges, but it's still there and will be. It is basically one of those "only I know its there" kinda dings, but one none the less. More deadly is the wraparound tailpiece. Drop that bad boy on the top and you are going to get a deep ding. I've saved mine twice now by good reflex, but none the less, it tells a tale of the guitars life. This guitar has been pampered as I no longer play out, and in Hawaii, it's pretty hard to find partners or jammers so it stays home. All of my guitars have been on a stage at some point in their lives and all returned unscathed, All my dings are from home...;-)

Last edited:
All my guitars have marks on them. Of course they do, they all are taken off the wall for practice, rehearsals and gigs all the time. It'd be a shame if they were just hanging there looking pretty – which they still do, with all the dents!

There's only two that ever annoyed me... the first was the first ever, of course. I was twelve and had this pristine looking ESP telecaster (still use it regularly!) and knocked it out of the stand when walking by. That hurt.

The second was the first time I took my brand new PRS 25th Anniversary McCarty to rehearsal. I hadn't even played a single chord on it because UPS brought it on the day of the rehearsal and I figured that'd be a good opportunity to give it a proper spin. The bass player asked right away if he could have a look. I said of course and went on to set up my amp and pedal board. When he handed it back to me his heart sunk in his chest because he had put a huge dent right in the middle of the beautiful quilt 10-top. I still give him **** and will continue to do so forever.

img_0440-jpg.268634

I had it fixed (he insisted and paid for it) but it was way too deep. By now there's many more on that guitar and I played at least 10 gigs with that one this year alone. The last was last night. There will be more. :)

23984539tb.jpg

Last edited:
Back