Demystifying Effects Board Rebuilds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CandidPicker, Oct 8, 2019.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Mine took me about 8 hours. 5 1/2 hours isn’t much if you want to try out pedal order (that takes a few hours in and of itself), plus do a neat installation, test the connections and power wiring, etc.

As you can see, I don’t have very many pedals. Some folks just take a long time! If you look at CP’s pedalboard, I have to say it’s a very tidy installation also.

[​IMG]

Black Plaid, Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

Experimenting with pedal order is something I do prior to installation. So I can see why it takes longer if you do it during. That could easily take longer than everything else put together.

Mine is never static long enough to spend that much time on it.

LSchefman likes this.
  3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I haven’t changed anything on mine since April, 2018.

4. Jkater

Jkater New Member

I can relate to your post for two reasons. First I am always a bit afraid of updating a firmware as I hear time and again stories of it going wrong. Problem is, it does sometimes make it a better version but how do we know? Second I also have the Helix rack (and foot controler). I haven't updated anything for ages.

5. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Doing some research, it seems that the custom-built cables are slightly less expensive, unless for exceptionally long cables...

Thx for your input.

6. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

It was a frustrating experience where my tolerance and patience was tested. For the life of me, I could not determine what effect and/or cable was not allowing signal to pass from input to output.

Even so, my Sentry Noise Gate connections have been acting up and the effects board not completely well-established...

This was why I need to ask Les about the Sinasoid cables...anything to help mitigate loose or suspect connections would do well towards solving my FX board issue...

7. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

My issue w/ the Sentry was that the effect wasn't working correctly, and a firmware update had been available back in 2018, but only recently, the effect had been acting up...

It took a bit of concerted effort, to understand how to get the software updater to recognize the Sentry, but after reading the Help section several times, got it working....

8. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

I gotcha. I thought 5 hours was crazy to put together a pedal board, but it was actually trouble shooting a problem that took up a lot of that time. Makes much more sense to me that way. Not that it matters. LOL.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  9. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Thx. I usually can rebuild FX boards from scratch within 1-½ hours, maybe 2, maximum, but this one involved troubleshooting all of my effects, adjoining cable, and power connections. Then scratching my head trying to determine why the board would still not pass signal. (Note to self: Next time, be sure to check the FX loop switcher input vs. tuner out first. Will save inordinate frustration this way)

Also, not to say I almost fried my Empress buffer by connecting it to a 12VDC power source briefly when it should have been only 9VDC...

My feeling is, without needing to rewire the entire board with Sinasoid cable immediately, it might be well worth the effort to simply use Sinasoid cable in potentially signal compromised sections (the Sentry I/Os, the buffer loop output to wah, the Immerse to buffer loop input). 4 cables in total, for about $60 and tax. And if needed later, could upgrade the board in increments, so as to defray upfront total costs per month. Kind of like paying off a doctor's bill without incurring any partial payment fees. ;)