Demographics: Settling the discussion once and for all

Which of the following most accurately describes what you do (or did) for a living?

• Health Care (Doctor, PA, Nurse, Anesthesiologist, Lab Tec, etc.)

• Legal (Lawyer, Paralegal, Mediator, etc.)

• Engineering (IT systems, mechanical, structural, etc.)

• Public Servant or Military (Police, Fireman, Teacher, Active Duty, etc.)

• The Arts (Illustration, design, photography, music, etc.)

• The Trades (Electrician, HVAC, Plumbing, Carpenter, etc.)

• Business Owner (self employed)

• Training & Development

• Management (Including Project & Program Management)

• Other (sorry, poll is limited to 10 options)

Results are only viewable after voting.
i’ve worked with one or two engineers who didn’t look like that until late in their careers.

220px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

Teacher here, and no longer a public school teacher. I am now a private school teacher, and that came with a $22K pay cut!!!!! Most of my beautiful collection was sold off after my wife left at the end of November. I have three PRS' left - the purple P22, the SC245 57/08, and the pink sparkle CE24 DW. Oh well. They get the job done, and the others allowed me to get a new place to live, pay for a lawyer, buy new furniture, and have utility deposits - with cash left over. Blessings for sure!!
Sorry to hear this. Hope you're doing OK.

I like playing with firearms, guitars, and being a hippie more than I like going to the office and approving analytical evaluations.

Who doesn't!? Research shows that getting paid for a thing reduces your enjoyment of it, even if you intrinsically like doing it. So I've finally come around to the point of view that if I was getting paid for playing guitar I'd come to hate it. Ergo, it's better to do a day job that's not something I love that pays well enough that I can enjoy what I do love!

30-odd years into my career that still gets me up in the morning, but the words "eligible for early retirement in two years" keep rolling around between my ears.

Who doesn't!? Research shows that getting paid for a thing reduces your enjoyment of it, even if you intrinsically like doing it. So I've finally come around to the point of view that if I was getting paid for playing guitar I'd come to hate it. Ergo, it's better to do a day job that's not something I love that pays well enough that I can enjoy what I do love!

30-odd years into my career that still gets me up in the morning, but the words "eligible for early retirement in two years" keep rolling around between my ears.

I loved engineering for the first decade of my career... being in management killed all the fun though.

Licensed Professional Engineer, design HVAC systems for mostly government clients (Army, AF, some Navy). I'm in management now, but still design a few things. They just make me travel more now. I manage a lot of great engineers, most are better at it than I was, so management is actually a highlight LOL

I loved engineering for the first decade of my career... being in management killed all the fun though.
I switched back to real work a couple of times.
Then I migrated back to bossing people around because it was annoying to watch things being done poorly (a relative term - I mostly worked with talented people).

I switched back to real work a couple of times.
Then I migrated back to bossing people around because it was annoying to watch things being done poorly (a relative term - I mostly worked with talented people).

Me too. I switched back a couple of times.

I may go back to engineering management in a different business unit one day but not in my current one, lol. I need to feel like I’m making a positive impact.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you're doing OK.

Thanks man. I'd be a liar if I said I was "good". I am emotionally crippled and terribly depressed, but life happens - I am counting every blessing I have daily, going to counseling, getting active, eating better...just doing anything I can to get to the place where I can be "me" again. I'll never understand what happened - why she left without a word - but that's ok. Somethings in life we'll never understand. Right now it's focus on the positive, and live one day at a time.

Today it's off to the Magic Kingdom for some exercise and distraction. I waited out the morning rush hour, so I best get going! Have a great day!

Thanks man. I'd be a liar if I said I was "good". I am emotionally crippled and terribly depressed, but life happens - I am counting every blessing I have daily, going to counseling, getting active, eating better...just doing anything I can to get to the place where I can be "me" again. I'll never understand what happened - why she left without a word - but that's ok. Somethings in life we'll never understand. Right now it's focus on the positive, and live one day at a time.

Today it's off to the Magic Kingdom for some exercise and distraction. I waited out the morning rush hour, so I best get going! Have a great day!

Man, this sounds incredibly tough, but it does sound like you're heading in the right direction.

Stay strong, man, and keep up the hard work....sending good mojo your way.

Chin up Mark!
I know what I'm saying sounds useless right now but believe me, you'll be better soon.

Back