Demographics: Settling the discussion once and for all

Which of the following most accurately describes what you do (or did) for a living?

• Health Care (Doctor, PA, Nurse, Anesthesiologist, Lab Tec, etc.)

• Legal (Lawyer, Paralegal, Mediator, etc.)

• Engineering (IT systems, mechanical, structural, etc.)

• Public Servant or Military (Police, Fireman, Teacher, Active Duty, etc.)

• The Arts (Illustration, design, photography, music, etc.)

• The Trades (Electrician, HVAC, Plumbing, Carpenter, etc.)

• Business Owner (self employed)

• Training & Development

• Management (Including Project & Program Management)

• Other (sorry, poll is limited to 10 options)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’ve been with the company I work for since 1987. I managed people/departments for the majority of that time. I look for revenue, these days, from the comfort of my basement!
I named the company I still work for back in 1984. Original employee. Awesome startup.
I chose engineering, management, and waffled between training and business owner, as I have shares now.
Picked training as the third anyway.
Things in telephony have changed radically. It's NEVER boring.

all internet places are engineer heavy, because computers and lots of down time waiting for plots.

Down time? WTH is that? My job consists mostly of being angry and confused at computers while trying to trying to fit real work in between dashing from meeting to meeting and to "help" research scientists who are even more confused than I am. On a good day I remember to eat and pee. The upside is that I'm never bored.

Worked as a General Manager of a powersports dealership for almost twenty years, left and started a new career as a corporate trainer/business consultant for a wide format digital print finishing (laminating films) company. I got laid off in '09 and went back to the powersports business for a couple of years. Until...some stupid b!tch on a cell phone almost took me out on my motorcycle. Which forced me into early retirement.

Oh, and I also had a side hustle as a bookie for about seven years...allegedlyo_O:D

Last edited:
Only 3 doctors/lawyers so far. That puts to bed the old theory that PRS guitars are only owned by doctors and lawyers.

Has this type of survey ever been done here for age ranges? I want to know if I am going to be old man at Experience.
I put down legal because it was the closest fit, but definitely not a lawyer. Worked my whole career in town / urban planning. It’s the ultimate generalist job - got involved in EVERYTHING. But at the end of the day, I wrote a lot of laws (of the local variety), and worked with cities and towns (“towns” is an enormously diverse category) to get them passed and make them work and tweak them over time. I did a ton of non-legal work too, but usually leading up to the passing of some sort of ordinance or rules. So legal was the best among a lot of “not exactly” options... Although I worked closely WITH a lot of lawyers and even had to sort of be an unofficial one in a lot of quasi-judicial settings - questioned and cross examined witnesses in hearings presided over by hearing examiners quite often...

Didn’t pay like a lawyer, that would be for certain...

Last edited:
Back