Deez nuts tho...for which guitar?

aphantomvaper

Bend it to the Owl!
I broke down and bought a couple of wide/fat nuts off the PRS store. It is impressive how heavy and resonant the material is. I've never done nut work before and am inspired by some of the posts here to change them in.

Which guitars should I "do"? I'm pretty sure the S2 594 has a core nut so I won't be touching that.

I like the white match of the nut and binding on the SE245 so probably not that one.

So what's left is the SE Paul's, SE Santana, and SE Camo. I'm thinking the Paul's and Santana, but the camo has EMGs and is a amazing sonic oscillator.

I'm looking for fun opinion, and expecting to do the work this weekend. Thanks!

I broke down and bought a couple of wide/fat nuts off the PRS store. It is impressive how heavy and resonant the material is. I've never done nut work before and am inspired by some of the posts here to change them in.

Which guitars should I "do"? I'm pretty sure the S2 594 has a core nut so I won't be touching that.

I like the white match of the nut and binding on the SE245 so probably not that one.

So what's left is the SE Paul's, SE Santana, and SE Camo. I'm thinking the Paul's and Santana, but the camo has EMGs and is a amazing sonic oscillator.

I'm looking for fun opinion, and expecting to do the work this weekend. Thanks!

I’ve just got the core nut on my SE 245. The combination of it and the PRS locking tuners is very good. It resonates incredibly too.

Just saying.

I'd take Wedge's advice and buy another set. You know you're gonna end up with another guitar! :p
That's logical! Ok time to get out the angle grinder....kidding!

You're right...another guitar is starting to blip on the radar. It is too far out in range to aquire the target.

So the advice is to get another set and upgrade all the SE :)

I changed the nut on the SE PG. It was a lot easier than I expected!

Comparing the removed nut and replacement they are the same in look, feel, sound (table drop test) and weight! Both weigh exactly 4 grams. They are manufactured differently but appear the be the same otherwise. The original appears to be cut roughly with edges and burrs in the slots. Not bad just rough. The original is symmetrical in size and the replacement tapers off towards the high strings.

Also did the SE Camo. This nut is plastic, weighs 2 grams and sounds dull compared to the replacement and PG nut. Some jerk really glued the original in it was not as easy as the PG.

Question: Is the SE PG factory nut the same material and made overseas?

I'm keeping the replacement nut on the SE PG. It does feel and sound better and has smooth clean slots :)

Back