Bran_Flakes

First off, hello! Name's Brandon (username from nickname in highschool). New to the forums, but I must say I've been reading different threads for quite some time to get more familiar with PRS guitars. Hopefully will be fairly active in the future.

Anyways, I've ran into a dilemma and feel like fellow guitarist enthusiasts could be of some assistance. Currently I own a couple Gibsons, Fenders, and an Ibanez, but am looking to get my first PRS guitar soon ("soon" being relative since I've been saying that for the past 4 or 5 months). Every time I think I've found the one, I get distracted by another. Lol

I've narrowed it down to two options; which would y'all lean towards?

1.) A USA Mark Tremonti Custom in Fire Red Burst

2.) An S2 model, a PRS SE acoustic, and a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 40.

Starkly different options, but I can't seem to decide which to pull the trigger on. I absolutely LOVE the Tremonti custom, but I'm really digging the sound of the H&K amp, and I would love to have a new acoustic. Being used to the shape of the Les Paul, the S2 doesn't do as much for me, but they're still fantastic guitars.

Maybe a third option of the Tremonti now, then the amp and acoustic later? Maybe I just answered it myself ;)

Anyways, that's enough from me, thoughts? Experiences with any of the gear? :) Thanks and keep rocking!

Welcome aboard! We'll be happy to enable you! :D Sounds like you've answered your own question...but my $.02 is this...

I absolutely LOVE the Tremonti custom

Doesn't this say enough?

Sounds like under the circumstances I'd hop on the Tremonti Express and look for a way to make a stop at H&K Station!

Welcome aboard! We'll be happy to enable you! :D Sounds like you've answered your own question...but my $.02 is this...

Doesn't this say enough?

Sounds like under the circumstances I'd hop on the Tremonti Express and look for a way to make a stop at H&K Station!

I'm with toothace on this one! And, if you've been lurking for awhile, you should know the correct answer from this motley crew....get all of them!

Seriously, can't go wrong either way. But, if you really love the Tremonti, I'd go that route.

Welcome to the Forum!

Get the Tremonti because your going to want a PRS amp later so you won't need the H+K :)

I knew the "get all of them" train would come rolling through pretty soon :D

And I was leaning toward the Tremonti, but the cash for it could've financed several pieces of gear, so I at least had to consider it, even though it had as little traction as it did. ;)

Definitely will probably stop for the H&K one day though. As I said I love the sounds I've heard out of that amp, and the blue lights about it are a nice plus as well lol

You can't go wrong with either choice! The S2 and the SE acoustic are terrific guitars and great values.

So my own advice would depend on what it is you want to accomplish. The Tremonti gets you an instrument that's heirloom quality, that you can play for the rest of your life and make no excuses. It comes with arguably the finest hardware and pickups out there for Tremonti's style of music. It's unusual in that it's a Singlecut, but has a trem. The trem has been called the best in the world. Even the tuning machines are amazing. Every detail is great. The tone is off the chart.

But that may not be as important as having the three items you're interested in.

Maybe you need a guitar to gig with and don't want to risk a Core PRS; maybe you really need an acoustic guitar and an amp, and these aren't merely wishes for fishes.

Truth is, a lot of the folks here have Core PRSes, and are into sampling the flavors, selling them, and sampling more flavors. They don't plan keep the guitar for more than a brief flirtation.

And a lot of the folks have PRSes that they've had for a long time, that are keepers that they'll never sell. That includes a LOT of S2 and SE owners!

So to make a long story short, if you're into finding "the one," a lifetime keeper, get the Core model. You won't be disappointed. If you would rather have the other stuff, and the idea of a keeper isn't as crucial, by all means, the S2 and the SE acoustic are wonderful choices.

Maybe a third option of the Tremonti now, then the amp and acoustic later? Maybe I just answered it myself ;)
This. If you don't do it, you will later. Get it right the first time and don't settle. You'll save money in the long run.

+1 on the Tremonti now option. You'll always be chasing it if you don't. Like Vaughn said - get it right the first time.

I just recently got a used Tremomti USA. Do it, you will eventually do get it done now!

You can't go wrong with either choice! The S2 and the SE acoustic are terrific guitars and great values.

So my own advice would depend on what it is you want to accomplish. The Tremonti gets you an instrument that's heirloom quality, that you can play for the rest of your life and make no excuses. It comes with arguably the finest hardware and pickups out there for Tremonti's style of music. It's unusual in that it's a Singlecut, but has a trem. The trem has been called the best in the world. Even the tuning machines are amazing. Every detail is great. The tone is off the chart.

But that may not be as important as having the three items you're interested in.

Maybe you need a guitar to gig with and don't want to risk a Core PRS; maybe you really need an acoustic guitar and an amp, and these aren't merely wishes for fishes.

Truth is, a lot of the folks here have Core PRSes, and are into sampling the flavors, selling them, and sampling more flavors. They don't plan keep the guitar for more than a brief flirtation.

And a lot of the folks have PRSes that they've had for a long time, that are keepers that they'll never sell. That includes a LOT of S2 and SE owners!

So to make a long story short, if you're into finding "the one," a lifetime keeper, get the Core model. You won't be disappointed. If you would rather have the other stuff, and the idea of a keeper isn't as crucial, by all means, the S2 and the SE acoustic are wonderful choices.

I'm really just trying to expand my rig and get as close to the perfect sound as I can. My main rig now consists of both an LP or Explorer through either a JVM410 or one of the Orange Terror series, usually with just a wah and booster pedal. I was originally looking at the standard custom 24 but being used to the LP shape and layout and wanting the tremolo, the Tremonti was the absolute perfect fit. I'm also a huge Tremonti fan and was going to throw his pickups in the 24 anyways (experimenting with low tunings recently), so it all kind of worked out.

Welcome, Brandon!

There's your amp right there, ditch 'em.

Thanks! Love it here :) And I could part with the Ibanez and the Explorer, but the two Fenders were handed down to me from my grandpa (one's a '57 reissue Strat and the other is a 1972 Tele), and the LP has been my through and through guitar for years. I wish I wasn't attached to some guitars the way I am, but what can you do.... :rolleyes:

I guess my main issue is that I've never actually dropped this much for a single piece of gear so I was a little nervous about jumping in, and looking around I noticed what all other pieces I could purchase with the cash, so those cold feet hit hard. I would more than likely just end up getting rid of the S2 at some point and grabbing the Custom anyway, so it seems that's probably the way to go and grab the amp at a later date. Thanks for all the words guys :)

Several lesser pieces of gear will never compete with one top notch piece.

I learned this pretty earlier when I tried to satisfy new guitar wants with a few not-as-nice pieces of gear that quickly got sold at a loss lol

This. If you don't do it, you will later. Get it right the first time and don't settle. You'll save money in the long run.

I believe this is what I will end up doing.

As I said before, thanks guys, just needed a little extra enabling....I mean...push.... to get rid of those cold feet ;)

I learned this pretty earlier when I tried to satisfy new guitar wants with a few not-as-nice pieces of gear that quickly got sold at a loss lol

I believe this is what I will end up doing.

As I said before, thanks guys, just needed a little extra enabling....I mean...push.... to get rid of those cold feet ;)
Don't worry, no-one will have cold feet for very long as we hold their feet the fire.

(Ouch, yes I hurt myself mixing those metaphors.)

And yes, Tremonti!

And do yourself a favor and check out a couple of the available PRS Amps. The H&K TM 40 is a nice model, I've been hankering for one, but at least have a listen to what a PRS amp can sound like so you have the reference for the next amp you think about getting...

And do yourself a favor and check out a couple of the available PRS Amps. The H&K TM 40 is a nice model, I've been hankering for one, but at least have a listen to what a PRS amp can sound like so you have the reference for the next amp you think about getting...

Oh yes, I've been going down the Archon road right now as well. While I love the H&K, I can't deny my eyes have been drifting to the PRS amps. The PRS may indeed win out in that fight, because I'm becoming a believer more so everyday ;)

Sometimes I wish I picked a cheaper "hobby", like clay-working or kite-flying....:rolleyes:

Back