Decibel or SPL Meters?

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

I need a small decibel meter that won't break the bank. Ideally, I need one that will measure up to 165 or 170 db. Almost all of the ones I've seen only measure up to 130 decibels. I've done a bit of light googling, and haven't turned up much, unless I want to spend over $5000. And let's face it, that's edging into Private Stock range. Do any of you have any advice?

Thanks,
Brad

I have a lil' Radio Shack one I bought years ago, but I think that only goes up to about 120... I'll holler at my acoustician buddy about what he uses for work though I'm sure it's one of those big $$$ ones.

What on earth are you trying to measure, if I may ask? 150-160 db can result in instant and permanent hearing loss. Are you measuring sonic booms?

I actually am measuring sonic booms. :D

I have a side business as a firearms manufacturer, and am also licensed to build things like fully automatic weapons for law enforcement agencies, military, etc. I'm branching out and starting to build sound suppressors. There are three things you hear when a gun is fired...the sound of the mechanical action cycling, the burning of the powder, and the sonic crack of the bullet. Basically, I need to measure SPLs while firing suppressed vs. non-suppressed.

Back