Debating on new PRS

I’ve always felt my particular P22 (2012 hard tail with 53/10s) is close enough to an LP that I can’t justify having both, but others would probably string me up for holding that view.

If I woke up in your position I’d probably consider a 594 soapbar or Hollowbody II.

Forget all this planning and overlap stuff. What matters is inspiration.

I'll speak for myself here: I want to pick up a guitar and be inspired to let the music flow; to play because the guitar sounds and feels so good that I can't put it down. You can't use reason and rationale to find that guitar any more than you can reason your way into finding a soul mate in life. On the contrary, it just happens.

Nor does it matter if it's similar to something else you own, or completely different. Get something that gives you that spark of inspiration.

I always say that buying an instrument isn't an intellectual decision, it's an emotional one. Wait until you find one that you just gotta have. It's out there. You'll know.

PS - Despite the foregoing clip, there can be more than one. ;)

Do they make the 594 in thin necks at all? I recently found a 2005 Custom 22 and I'm digging it so wondering what the next PRS should be.

I found a SC245 lightly used near my home town. It has the 57/08 pickups. Thoughts?
Those pickups are highly thought of around these parts. I happen to own a rather similar Stripped 58 with 57/08s, and I really love it.
I also find that that guitar is quite different from my LP, sooo... I'd check it out if you haven't already.
All in my opinion and experience and YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
Those pickups are highly thought of around these parts. I happen to own a rather similar Stripped 58 with 57/08s, and I really love it.
I also find that that guitar is quite different from my LP, sooo... I'd check it out if you haven't already.
All in my opinion and experience and YMMV, of course.

I just missed it :(

Overlap. The opposite theory is that if a guitar is good enough to be your #1, or maybe even a #2, then you should have another just like it. I fell so head over heels for those McCarty SC 594 models I went out and grabbed another one a week later. Got 3 Custom 24 at this point, almost the same reason, plus they have too many colors I liked.

Overlap. The opposite theory is that if a guitar is good enough to be your #1, or maybe even a #2, then you should have another just like it. I fell so head over heels for those McCarty SC 594 models I went out and grabbed another one a week later. Got 3 Custom 24 at this point, almost the same reason, plus they have too many colors I liked.

That's awesome you have all of those cool guitars. I don't have the funds to buy that many high ends. Interestingly though, I had to return my LP. Turns out there was an issue with the neck. Talked to the manager yesterday and he said, "The nut was all jacked up." Brand new instrument. Sad thing is I bought a tele the same week as the LP, also new, and it also had a major neck issue. So, I'm searching for a 594 (maybe an SC245) now to get my LP digs. That's the hope anyway.

Seriously try a Vela before you buy anything. It may or may not be the right guitar for you, but it’s definitely worth checking out.

Back