Debating on new PRS

Pseudohobbit

Greetings, all! First time poster here. I’m thinking about getting a new PRS. I currently have a Cu24, LP style, Tele, and Strat. I play mainly rock, prog, and MS blues. I’m not really into hollows or semi hollows much. I’ve thought about a McCarty or P22, never had a Piezo but want one. I’d also looked at a 594, but I worry about too much overlap. Thoughts?

Plenty of options...

594 Soapbar Limited
Studio
NF3

Several of these have the Narrowfield pickup in them, which is a great sounding pickup that doesn’t sound like a LP/Strat/Tele, but can cover some of the same ground well. The P90 model listed has the best sounding P90s I have heard in any guitar, and just happen to reside in the best LP-Type guitar you will find.

I also was not a hollow or semi-hollow guy prior to eventually trying a Hollowbody I. That has been a opinion-altering experience. PRS semi or full hollowbody guitars are not your dad’s or grandpa’s jazz box. They kick some serious butt in playability and tone, and can blaze at gig volume with nary a hint of unwanted feedback. You won’t be convinced until you try one, and I do strongly encourage you to do so. It has re-written in my mind what a hollow body electric can be and do. So much so, in fact, that I just bought the most expensive new guitar I have ever purchased in 45 years of guitar playing... a McCarty 594 Hollowbody II. It is an amazing instrument and a joy to play.

So, here’s the big question. Is there too much overlap between an LP to warrant a 594? Or, should I consider other options? One big want is a Vela Semi-Hollow. I want to get 594 eventually anyway but want as much variety as possible.

So, here’s the big question. Is there too much overlap between an LP to warrant a 594? Or, should I consider other options? One big want is a Vela Semi-Hollow. I want to get 594 eventually anyway but want as much variety as possible.

The Vela is an extraordinary guitar, I'm a huge fan. I have both solid and semi-hollow, you can't go wrong with either and it's a different beast than anything you already have. Think the bastard child of a Tele and an SG raised in the wild by a Gretsch.

I personally feel that it would overlap too much. 594 is a top of the line Les Paul. You can’t really get anything better, just equal. I was shopping for a 594 until I ran across a sweetheart deal for an amazing Les Paul and that unfortunately ended my search. They are a little different in tone but to me they are so close I couldnt justify having both. I see no reason to own both unless you aren’t happy with your LP and want to upgrade or just a fan of really nice guitars. The 594 typically has better tops if that means a lot to you.

I personally feel that it would overlap too much. 594 is a top of the line Les Paul. You can’t really get anything better, just equal. I was shopping for a 594 until I ran across a sweetheart deal for an amazing Les Paul and that unfortunately ended my search. They are a little different in tone but to me they are so close I couldnt justify having both. I see no reason to own both unless you aren’t happy with your LP and want to upgrade or just a fan of really nice guitars. The 594 typically has better tops if that means a lot to you.

This right here is exactly what I wanted to know. I do really like my LP. The only reason I got the LP is I had one PRS. I might go for a Vela Semi-Hollow. It’d be way different, not a lot of dough, and very retro. I might shoot for an older McCarty and Silver Sky down the line though. I could swap the pickups in the former I figure.

This right here is exactly what I wanted to know. I do really like my LP. The only reason I got the LP is I had one PRS. I might go for a Vela Semi-Hollow. It’d be way different, not a lot of dough, and very retro. I might shoot for an older McCarty and Silver Sky down the line though. I could swap the pickups in the former I figure.

Did I mention you should definitely go Vela? Cuz you should...

Greetings, all! First time poster here. I’m thinking about getting a new PRS. I currently have a Cu24, LP style, Tele, and Strat. I play mainly rock, prog, and MS blues. I’m not really into hollows or semi hollows much. I’ve thought about a McCarty or P22, never had a Piezo but want one. I’d also looked at a 594, but I worry about too much overlap. Thoughts?

I play ZZTop, SRV, Santana, GnR, & Megadeth

I own a McArty, Double cut 594, & an S2 Standard 22. If money is no object the 594. But the S2 is the biggest bang for the buck & gets the most play.

Back