Dear PRS....you don't make one with the spec I want anymore!

85 Custom

Okay, so I've been a PRS owner and buyer since the late 80's and had numerous guitars....more than numerous in fact. I currently have an old 90's gold top PRS with a wide thin neck I dislike..I'm fussy when it comes to neck profiles....like chunky but not wide at the nut. So I really want either a 408 cos I love the pickups and switching or something like a Brent Mason model. So off I go to check the specs....errr.. no Pattern regular? Come on guys....Pattern....Pattern Thin....so why not Pattern bloomin regular??? :(
So Paul to recap I want 408 pups...check....pattern regular neck...check....Stop/tail....check, oh and old school PRS frets....Vintage yellow or a decent two tone burst...come on....play ball..!! Can I also have my old PRS logo back...and dials....and serial number writing....oh and truss rod cover...everything else is good! :)

The Brent Mason has the Pattern neck--well, mine does, anyway. I don't know how you feel about Pattern necks, but I find mine quite comfortable, and I like a pretty good-sized neck. It's bigger than most PRS necks I've played, and has a very slight "V" higher up. Ordinarily, I don't care much for "V" necks, but I like this one, probably because I don't feel the "V" until I get past the 8th fret, and it's not very noticeable even there.

I believe the NF3, a close sibling to the Brent Mason, has the Pat Regular neck. As for the 408, you'd have to get PTC to help you. The only other model with the Pat Regular profile that I know is the Custom 24.

They aren't making my favorite profile anymore either, but I find ways to manage. Honestly the Pattern is quite comfortable.

They aren't making my favorite profile anymore either, but I find ways to manage. Honestly the Pattern is quite comfortable.

I, too, find the Pattern-type necks to be more comfortable than the older Wide-type necks. They just feel a little bit more boutique and less "generic".

I, too, find the Pattern-type necks to be more comfortable than the older Wide-type necks. They just feel a little bit more boutique and less "generic".

Aren't the Pattern necks the same width at the nut as the Wide Thin and Wide Fat? That is the thing I don't like, the wider nut. I have no probs with chunky necks....my Esquire and Strat were both built to be .930 at the first fret. Wonder if we'll ever see a stop tail on a DC3 or NF? Maybe 408 pickups too like on the Mason? :)

Back