Dealing with wear and tear

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
My SE One is showing signs of real fret wear.
fretwear1.jpg

fretwear2.jpg

But I guess after 3 years of SOLID gigging, my meager upkeep just isn't enough. With a good tech's name in hand the plan is to get these frets dressed back into shape along with whatever else needs to be cleaned up. At some point, though, with the amount of wear apparent here, there are only a couple of fret dressings left in this guitar. When would you consider refretting your guitar? Or rather, would you consider refretting an inexpensive guitar or would you just consider it worn out and replace it? Seems wasteful to me - especially for a really good sounding guitar. Needless to say, if it gets refretted, it's going to PTC. :cool:

Also, if refretting is done, would you consider stainless frets? Am I asking for a tonal shift?

They don't look that bad to be honest. I've noticed that the latest USA fretwire is much harder than it used to be, close to stainless steel I think, so if I could access the PTC I'd probably just get stock PRS wire.

As I'm in the UK, I'd probably go for a stainless steel refret.

Hey Boogie- there seems to be plenty of life left in the frets. If you're having buzzing issues or find it hard to bend a note then the frets can be leveled and crowned. The nut will probably need to be re-cut at that point too. If you need a refret down the road, the PTC can certainly handle it for you. Whether or not it is worth refretting an inexpensive guitar is really up to the owner. Some guys look at guitars as tools and when they reach the end of their lives, the tool is discarded. Others have emotional attachments to their instruments and wouldn't ever think of getting rid of them. Look at Jeff beck for example, he can surely afford a new guitar but he continues to play his Strat. No judgment either way, you have to do what is right for you.

Yeah, lots of life left in em! I just had two guitars that I've had for 20+ years refretted. I waited a bit too long, but they each had been dressed a few times over the years.

if you like the guitar,for SURE get it re-fretted!

Yeah, they don't look too bad. No amount of upkeep is going to prevent fret wear, though. Some people are harder on them than others, however. I've noticed that mine wear less now that I use a lighter touch and lighter strings compared to the past. They are a consumable component, so by all means replace them when needed. Or, just wear them down and send the guitar to me for...uh...disposal...yeah...that's it...disposal.

My black CU22 was looking very similar, I just took it up to the local tech and got a level and crown (no setup). He charged me $60 for it and the frets look like new.

I'd definately get a re-fret on an SE.

If it was a £300 guitar or less (From new) then i'd consider it done and either scrap or sell - or even experiment with a re-fret myself) but the SE's are too good to even consider scrapping / offloading.

Will get some stainless in my Bernie when it needs it. Frets are too shallow for a fret dress.

I have had me CE re-fretted twice, and it won't be hard to justify doing to my SE "O" when it needs it too. A good guitar is a good guitar.

I know they don't look too bad right now, but since the wear is focused, I'm planning preventative maintenance. My iron grip bending and vibrato tends to wreak havoc on frets, so it's all about keeping it from buzzing out or intonation probs. Believe me, when it's time for a refret the One is going to PTC. This guitar is will be with me the rest of my life.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. :cool:

Back