Dead spots on CU24 guitars

Sometimes it's just a matter of adjusting the springs a bit - if they resonate or vibrate a little bit, even inaudibly, at the right frequency, that might adversely affect the tone of a note played at that frequency.

Has anyone noticed a correlation between the era of PRS guitars that have dead spots? Does this problem seem to be more common in the older (pre-1995) guitars?

I believe it was that pre-'95 era that had the most trouble with this. I haven't run into any dead spots on any PRS for a long time, but then I haven't been trying many the last couple of years. It used to be a real problem, and the larger heel on the neck was supposed to have taken care of it. I remember when many Custom 22's had this issue, right where the OP and others mention it here. If you get a PRS from online, not having previously played and checked it for this, and it has this, return it immediately because it cannot be fixed. Dead is dead.

OK, I've been sitting on this annoyance for decades and finally got irked enough today to want to talk about it openly:

Almost every Custom 24 I've ever owned or played has some sort of dead spot on the 12th fret of the B string.

I'm curious what other's experiences are with this.

It’s not just Custom 24’s. Every guitar has some sort of variation on this theme. SG’s are particularly bad.

Often in the conversation people will say it’s bad fretwork or in need of a setup. It’s not. It’s just part of the instrument, a sympathetic vibration that deadens the note.

Not just Core, not just pre-1995. My dead spot was on my first PRS... a 2020 CE24. I was in love, then ran into the 14th fret of G string - definitely a dud. I played another CE24 and believe I found the same thing. Didn't discourage me. I now have a 594SC and a Semi-Hollow CE24..... but, I will tell you that my CE24 is only passable at that 14th fret G string to my ears. So much else I like about it that I'm willing to deal with it.

by the way, 594SC is perfect. blows my mind every time I play it.

@AP515 pretty much nailed it re dead spots and wolf tones. I’m a lover of CU24s and found a few changes in hardware helped a bit on occasion, like replacing metal tuning buttons with wood or plastic or upgrading older models with new trem screws. The differences can be subtle, as is the whole dead spot issue...some people don’t seem to notice it or it doesn’t bother them. I agree with the OP and usually hear dead spots on 24 fret double cutaways generally.

Coincidentally, I have a 2020 CU24 on the way, so we will see...

Back