Dead spot on 594, B string, 12th fret?

It’s not a fret issue. People all through this thread have highlighted that dead spots are not a setup or fret issue but a resonance issue. You can press the headstock against a wall which changes the resonance in the guitar and the note will ring out fine. You can drop tune a whole step and the dead spot will move two frets up.

Here’s a video from a bassist showing what a dead spot is.

and here's one on a Strat

It's a shame that they don't demonstrate that bending into the note or playing it elsewhere on the neck has the same issue. In fact mine is worse at the 16th G string than it is on 12th B.

It's just the way the wood resonates in a particular guitar that causes it. My Santana is very resonant.

That definitely happens more on very resonant guitars. That Strats doing it all over. All my guitars do it to various degrees. I never really thought anything of it because you can hear it's the overtones canceling it out. Heavy, dead guitars I think may do it less because you don't have that richness on the notes.

Yeah. I’m coming to terms with it on my Santana. It’s an awesome guitar otherwise.

Reactions: Tag
Back