Dead Frets on SC 245

camstant

Hi all,

I just recently picked up a 2015 SC 245. It's my first PRS (and actually first guitar I've purchased after 10+ years of not play much at all), and I love the guitar, but I've just noticed that a few frets don't sustain as well as the rest of the guitar. It's most noticeable on the G string at the 12th fret where the note almost seems muted and artificially dies after a second or two, but there are also a few other notes on the the higher frets on the G and B strings where it's similar.

Curious if others have had similar issues and/or have fixed the problem. Is this a setup-type issue or something that will require a more involved repair? Or just something I'll have to live with?

Thanks in advance of any help/suggestions!

Most likely set up without looking at the guitar it tough but most likely the neck relief needs an adjustment

Like Rider says, it's always good to check for mechanical obstructions, but what you are describing sounds like dead spots. Put a small C clamp on the headstock (put a cloth in between to protect the finish) and see if the weight moves the problem to another fret. If so it's a dead spot. Not a lot you can do about them.

Back