DC 594 against DC 594 semi hollow - big differences?

MrKite

Who played both? Big differences in tone? I already have a #olid 594, so does a a semi hollow one bring anything new to the table?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
As it happens I've A/B-ed them recently.
It surprised me that the semihollow sounded very semihollow-esque. It is a solid back and top guitar with the body "chambered" but they sounded to me like Gibsons ES, and those are laminated bodies.
So, for me, different guitars.

Okay, NOT 594s, but I have recently played, side-by-side, a pair of "singlecuts" in the traditional style by the same high end builder. (NOT with a G on the headstock!) The solid one sounds big and fat, just like you would expect. The chambered one (no f-holes) is also solid wood (rather than plywood), but much lighter. It definitely has the sound of "air" to it, with a "chimier" tone.

I would not say one is "better" than the other. But I definitely plan to keep both of them----They are different enough that they fill a different niche.

Last edited:
Who played both? Big differences in tone? I already have a #olid 594, so does a a semi hollow one bring anything new to the table?

Thanks for your input.

I have a 594 DC, 594 DC semi hollow and 594 SC Semi hollow. All phenomenal, and the semi hollow makes a HUGE difference. The difference between the SC and DC semi hollows themselves is pretty big. Its well worth owning all. My fave is probably the semi hollow single cut. FAT tone!!

Back