David Grissom on his DG Custom Amp Settings

BestCtrlPanel_zpsd2cb691d.jpg
[/URL]/img]

Here are his live 30 watt settings. Picture taken at the Saxon Pub last September.

Does he always have his guitar tone control rolled Off?

Does he always have his guitar tone control rolled Off?

I can only say "he didn't at the clinic a few years ago" - I asked him whether he messed with it at all when switching between bridge and neck pickups, he said it was pretty much just left on 10 all the time.

That evening he used a 25th Anniversary amp, so that could affect the guitar settings, or he may have just changed preferences.

Love DG's tone, but you can't dime the master in the bedroom.
Yes you can...

i mean

YES YOU CAN!
:biggrin:

I've been using DG's rig and setup suggestions for a long time now, and I can confirm a few things...and dispel a couple others.
First, to me, the definitive DG rhythm tone comes from a 50w amp, period. You don't get that chest-thumping (he even says that in the video) attack without a cranked 50w. The pine 2x12 cab, for me, was the secret final ingredient. A similar impact can be had with a 1x12 at lower volume, but the "thump" is substantially smaller. With the SuperD, the secret with the smaller cab is the 16ohm load...it loves 16ohms. No matter how you try with this setup, clean sounds will not carry as much SPL as the dirty/lead stuff. The rest of the band has to come down (or look to the sound guy) or the part is lost. The other part of DG's signature rhythm tone, to me, is that low-end growl. That only comes from speaker excursion which comes from power stage clipping and V30 abuse. The pesky byproduct is SPL.

Guitar-wise, it's the DGT, period. Those pickups have huge output levels, which really drives the front end of the amp, with or without boosts or ODs. And I don't think that's a mistake in the video showing his guitar tone at zero. I keep mine at 3 for most of the time.

Id love to get the DG 50 and my amp in the same room. Scratch that...auditorium. ;)

Cool video.... I don't have the 50 (yet) but on the 30, with the bass set that high, it's way too dark for my tastes. In any case, the video showcases what I think is the real strength of the DG amps.... It responds super well to boosts and ODs up front.

Cool video.... I don't have the 50 (yet) but on the 30, with the bass set that high, it's way too dark for my tastes. In any case, the video showcases what I think is the real strength of the DG amps.... It responds super well to boosts and ODs up front.

They're great with pedals, but my experience with my son's vintage Melody Maker a few days ago was especially impressive given the relatively weak magnets on its pickup. We ran it into the amp sans boost or overdrive, and it really brought out the vintage tone of the guitar in a special way. It didn't impose its own tone on things to the detriment of the guitar.

I felt that way about the tone with my recent PRS humbucker guitars, of course, but this really nailed that concept down for me.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Did they mean guitar tone on full in the video? It says 0 but I'm wonder if they meant guitar tone on full.

Back