darker strings?

dougdnh

Part time musician, living in new Hampshire
The Angelus I just got plays great, but the strings sound a bit harsh for my style of playing. Anyone have recommendations for darker sounding strings?

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the SE Acoustics come with 80/20 Bronze(?) .012-.053 strings from the factory. 80/20's tend to be brighter, even more so when the string gauge drops to .011 - .052, or .010 - .050. I would suggest trying a set of Phosphor Bronze strings by the manufacturer of your choice, as they tend to be less bright compared to the 80/20's. That should help the unplugged sound. Plugged in, I would roll down the tone knob to pull out some of the treble, or adjust the EQ of your amp, mixer or whatever you are plugged into.

If they are 80/20 definitely try phosphorus bronze. Darkest sounding strings I’ve found are Dadarrio Nickle Bronze. Very warm and great for finger style. I use them sometimes on my Taylor which can be bright but generally I use John Pearse PB 12-53.

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered a set of DR Rare 12's.I've always used DR's on my electrics. I'll let you know how the Rare's sound in the Angelus.

Oddly enough on my USA Angelus, I found the 80/20s were more balanced than PBs, which I know makes no sense - the PBs actually sounded brighter.

Back