Dark Neck Pickup

Adir

Hi,

I have a PRS Quatro (which I love) but it seems that the neck became dark tonally. Is there anything I can do to pop the high frequencies?

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Adir.

I am assuming you mean the neck pickup and not the actual neck :D

There may be a problem with the switch, if you aren't the DIY type, you may need to take it to a luthier.

It could also be a defective pickup?

Has it become dark, or has it always been darker than you'd like? I believe the ME Quatro has 53/10 pickups and from my experience the neck 53/10 can be a little on the dark side. If it has become darker recently, you might want to check on the 'treble bleed' cap on the volume pot. This is a small 180pf cap across a couple of the legs of the volume pot that bypasses some of the treble straight to output as you turn down, thus 'retaining the highs'. If one of the legs has come loose, or something happened to it then you get a bit less treble content and your pickups sound darker. It will affect both pickups together, but you just might not notice the effect on the bridge pickup so much.

If it has always been a bit darker than you'd like, (rather than something happening to it), then the options are to use a smaller tone cap (say 0.022uf rather than the 0.033uf that is fitted) or a different value tone pot (it's conceivable that the one you have might be measuring on the low side, say 450ohm. Could change for something measuring measuring 550-600ohm).

Also, try adjusting the pickup height. Maybe wind up the treble side a fraction.

Back