Danny Kortchmar on Roland Blues cube

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
I've been following the activities on the "Tube Amps.. Why" post. Great stuff. Lots of great info, opinions, and passion.!

The latest Guitar Player mag has a thing on Danny Kootch. You may need to be of a certain age to recognize his name but suffice it to say he's a studio maniac, been around a long time and knows his stuff.

Here is a piece of a paragraph in the article I found interesting and would love to hear some comments about

His current amp of choice for performance is a 2X12 Roland Blues Cube Artist "I think it's the best amp I have played through, except for the old Princeton" he says. "You can tune it and get a good sound in any room. It's solid state, but I defy anyone to tell me they can distinguish between it and a tube amp. It sounds very warm, rich and tubey"

I have lots of amps, both tube and SS...
Roland Blues Cube is a great amp.

I had a chance to see him at GearFest and didn’t go. :(

I think Greg Koch was at the same time and as much as I tried, I couldn’t be at both places at the same time. :confused:

I’m told DK really knows amps and tone! :p

I’m pretty sure I saw Kortchmar on tour with Linda Ronstadt in the ‘70s. What I like about his playing is that he never overplays. He really complimented the artists whose recordings he played on.

A Major Dude, as one of my friends calls guys in the business who were A-listers.

I bought a Blue Cube Artist from Andertons and returned it after two weeks. I tried very hard to convince myself that it was a great amp. I failed to do this. I finally admitted to myself that it was very harsh sounding and not really very tube like at all. I was playing through it with my Bernie (BK Abraxas pickups) and my S2 Singlecut (BK Rebel Yells). My previous tube amp was a Cornford Roadhouse combo. I had a few solid state amps many years ago that sounded a lot better than the Blues Cube. Try it for yourself and don't swallow the hype. I exchanged it for a Fender Bassbreaker 15w combo which I'm very happy with.

I have a BCA and it's all I use lately. I have many other amps, my #1 used to be an Allen Accomplice but I was looking for something lighter and the BCA is lighter and sounds great.

I bought a Blue Cube Artist from Andertons and returned it after two weeks. I tried very hard to convince myself that it was a great amp. I failed to do this. I finally admitted to myself that it was very harsh sounding and not really very tube like at all. I was playing through it with my Bernie (BK Abraxas pickups) and my S2 Singlecut (BK Rebel Yells). My previous tube amp was a Cornford Roadhouse combo. I had a few solid state amps many years ago that sounded a lot better than the Blues Cube. Try it for yourself and don't swallow the hype. I exchanged it for a Fender Bassbreaker 15w combo which I'm very happy with.

I have a BCA and it's all I use lately. I have many other amps, my #1 used to be an Allen Accomplice but I was looking for something lighter and the BCA is lighter and sounds great.

And this dear friends is the perfect example of humanity and why different products/solutions are in the offering. :)

And this dear friends is the perfect example of humanity and why different products/solutions are in the offering. :)
Yes, I'd honestly think it wouldn't be as good as a Cornford or an Allen. But it depends on so many things... how you're dialing the amp and for what kind of tones, how loud you play, what speaker your playing the amps through, etc., etc.

Roland have pumped a fortune into marketing the Blues Cube and it's paid off very well. It will be interesting to see how Fender get on with their Tonemaster digital renderings of the Deluxe Reverb and the Twin. The Blues Cube will be entirely forgotten about in the not too distant future.

11Top makes a good point.

I had an interesting experience over the past few days. Waves came out with a plugin designed to solve some of the problems that occur when mixing music on headphones, using their NX system as the basis for it. As you know, with headphones the ears are isolated from each other, but in a room you get all kinds of reflections, and each ear hears a bit of what the other ear hears. The software attempts to give you what you’d hear in one of Abbey Road’s mix rooms.

Whether it accomplishes this I can’t say, because I haven’t mixed there, though I have mixed in similar rooms. It’s probably different from the room, but it does ameliorate some of the problems with headphones, and I’ll get some use out of it as a double-check for mixes. But to further what 11Top says:

As part of the process, you input the measurements of the circumference of your head, and the rear measurement of the distance between your ears, measured with a cloth measuring tape.

If you play around with this, you discover that differences in head measurements make tiny, but audible, differences. We know that everyone’s ears are shaped a little differently. And of course, it’s not just what goes into the ears, the brain processes all of the data it picks up, so perceived sound is psychoacoustic.

Since none of our heads, ears, or brains are exactly alike, I think it’s probable that we can listen to the same thing, but come away with different perceptions.

Another factor is what we listen for. Most musicians have the experience of concentrating on, say, a guitar part on a recording to learn it. Our brains can focus on the part and more or less tune out the other instruments a bit. This is also the case in evaluating audio gear, like amplifiers; we can listen for different things, and even if we hear the same audio data, come away with different impressions.

As an example, one of the things I listen for with guitar amps is what I’ll call ‘complexity’ for lack of a better word; you might call it how the amp generates harmonics (since harmonic distortion is what guitar amps create when hit with a signal). Every amp does this a little differently. Another is how quickly the amp compresses the signal (I use compressors in the studio all the time, so this kind of response hits my ear pretty strongly). Anyway, these and a zillion other differences help us distinguish between amps.

Bottom line is that some of these things that I listen for aren’t necessarily the things you listen for. So I can be bugged by certain types of amps, while you might love them for the very things that bug me.

Conclusion: we hear differently; we listen for different things; and we value those things we hear in different ways.

This is true of music we listen to, hi fi equipment we buy, guitar amps, guitars, pickups and all kinds of other stuff. So if I say a modeler doesn’t really sound like a guitar amp, I’m really only talking about the things I listen for, and the things someone else listens for may be way different.

I say this a lot: there is no ‘best’, there’s only what’s best for you.

Last edited:
Since none of our heads, ears, or brains are exactly alike, I think it’s probable that we can listen to the same thing, but come away with different perceptions.

Another factor is what we listen for. Most musicians have the experience of concentrating on, say, a guitar part on a recording to learn it. Our brains can focus on the part and more or less tune out the other instruments a bit. This is also the case in evaluating audio gear, like amplifiers; we can listen for different things, and even if we hear the same audio data, come away with different impressions.

This. It reminds of something I saw Tommy Shaw say in an interview years ago. He said when they recorded "Blue Collar Man", he was blown away by this sort of chugging sound he heard in the organ part. When he talked about how cool it was, everybody else in the room just looked at him. He said he couldn't get anyone else to hear what he was hearing.

This. It reminds of something I saw Tommy Shaw say in an interview years ago. He said when they recorded "Blue Collar Man", he was blown away by this sort of chugging sound he heard in the organ part. When he talked about how cool it was, everybody else in the room just looked at him. He said he couldn't get anyone else to hear what he was hearing.

It’s really interesting; different people will react to certain details in mix situations that the others don’t hear. I think some of it has to do with what they’re focused on.

Back