Dang Velas...

Decided to treat my reclaimed to a matching truss rod cover. Mahogany to match the headstock. Maintains the all wood look.
8GRQCLc.jpeg
Dig!

Question. Is it only the reclaimed or all velas that has crazy sustain and spring like reverb? For a hard tail I’m shocked. It’s so loud and feels like I have natural reverb.
Mine does that too- much more sustain than my Strat, Tele, or even my Les Paul. It’s surprising how well the semi-hollow Vela resonates.

Harmonic Design Z-90 humbucker-sized P-90’s. I had them in my CE-22 for years until I decided to replace them with Kinman humbucker-sized P-90’s. I love both the Kinmans and the Harmonic Designs, and I figured some day I’d find the right guitar for the Harmonic Designs. I seem to have become obsessed with putting them in a black satin Vela along with a single-ply black Bakelite pickguard and having a stealth black Vela to go along with my sunburst one. Does one person really need two Velas?

Last edited:
You know what I would love? Some new colors for the satin! I would love a dealer run on solid satins. Seems like all the dealer runs are always on semihollows. How about some Egyptian gold, aquamarine fire mist blue, etc? See the CE belows for examples of how all hog satin finishes can be fun.

8_Full_Left_Front_NA-8bc265a01da345c648d29cf9fac9ca04.jpg

8_Full_Left_Front_NA-81a767981c300751be4d943e63912274.jpg

Last edited:
You know what I would love? Some new colors for the satin! I would love a dealer run on solid satins. Seems like all the dealer runs are always on semihollows. How about some Egyptian gold, aquamarine fire mist blue, etc? See the CE belows for examples of how all hog satin finishes can be fun.

8_Full_Left_Front_NA-8bc265a01da345c648d29cf9fac9ca04.jpg

8_Full_Left_Front_NA-81a767981c300751be4d943e63912274.jpg
I know where you've been poking around, and totally support your statement!

Ok, so I have been reading so much about Velas and Aahzz recommended them to me in another post I made earlier. So, when one within my budget became available, I picked it up for a lot less than others. Sure a couple dings, but makes it easier to play. Kind of like the first time a rock hits your car on the highway, you relax a bit more. I was hoping to find one with bird inlays since this is my first and only PRS without birds, but they were a little more costly and my fundage was greatly reduced from my MEV purchase and Mira. So, honestly, first thoughts were, "meh, I expected magic". So, I played it a while.. through an amp and kemper...and picked up my 594 SC to compare now that I had played the Vela. OK, so I guess I had to go on a few "dates" with Vela to see the appeal... And I decided, it's the tele I can love. Yes, I've heard it isn't a "tele", but I have never enjoyed playing a tele. Like a few others who have said, they look and sound great when others play, but I guess I'm a PRS guy through and through. The sounds I got were definitely different than all my other guitars. And to be honest I like the Teleprster sound over the tele. But we all have opinions. :)
rwVRVxa.jpg

Ok, so I have been reading so much about Velas and Aahzz recommended them to me in another post I did. So, when one within my budget became available, I picked it up for a lot less than others. Sure a couple dings, but makes it easier to play. Kind of like the first time a rock hits your car on the highway, you relax a bit more. I was hoping to find one with bird inlays since this is my first and only PRS without birds, but they were a little more costly and my fund age was greatly reduced from my MEV purchase and Mira. So, honestly, first thoughts were, "meh, I expected magic". So, I played it a while.. through an amp and kemper...and picked up my 594 SC to compare now that I had played the Vela. OK, so I guess I had to go on a few "dates" with Vela to see the appeal... And I decided, it's the tele I can love. Yes, I've heard it isn't a "tele", but I have never enjoyed playing a tele. Like a few others who have said, they look and sound great when others play, but I guess I'm a PRS guy through and through. The sounds I got were definitely different than all my other guitars. And to be honest I like the Teleprster sound over the tele. But we all have opinions. :)
rwVRVxa.jpg
Nicely done sir, and congrats on a beauty!

Ok, so I have been reading so much about Velas and Aahzz recommended them to me in another post I made earlier. So, when one within my budget became available, I picked it up for a lot less than others. Sure a couple dings, but makes it easier to play. Kind of like the first time a rock hits your car on the highway, you relax a bit more. I was hoping to find one with bird inlays since this is my first and only PRS without birds, but they were a little more costly and my fundage was greatly reduced from my MEV purchase and Mira. So, honestly, first thoughts were, "meh, I expected magic". So, I played it a while.. through an amp and kemper...and picked up my 594 SC to compare now that I had played the Vela. OK, so I guess I had to go on a few "dates" with Vela to see the appeal... And I decided, it's the tele I can love. Yes, I've heard it isn't a "tele", but I have never enjoyed playing a tele. Like a few others who have said, they look and sound great when others play, but I guess I'm a PRS guy through and through. The sounds I got were definitely different than all my other guitars. And to be honest I like the Teleprster sound over the tele. But we all have opinions. :)
rwVRVxa.jpg
Awesome score, congrats! Looking forward to having one in my stable some day!! Played one in August for the first time and I really liked the tones it offered without any pedals attached!!!

Back