Dang Velas...

It’s here and it’s absolutely stunning.

52234134405_6c859b62a0_b.jpg

52233655316_b8b5b69b49_b.jpg

Check out the contrast with it’s reclaimee brother:

52233655311_0fc385947e_b.jpg

I had been eyeing other reclaimed Velas over the last several months, including one that Chicago Music Exchange had last month. Was going back and forth with them on price, but ultimately they wouldn’t come down to the threshold that I set for myself (my max spend and their bottom line was a $150 delta). Clearly this baby proves that sometimes it pays to hold out. I picked this up for several hundred below the seller’s listing price and well under CME’s bottom line on the other one. The seller included a really nice Gator flight case as well as the original gig bag and all the case candy.

Now for the guitar itself, I’m really digging the chiminess of the pickups, especially the neck which has just a simply fantastic Strat neck position tone when played through my Mesa with just a nudge from my Klon clone. Ergonomics are just right for me. She’s a keeper!

Freaking gorgeous!!!

I had been eyeing other reclaimed Velas over the last several months, including one that Chicago Music Exchange had last month. Was going back and forth with them on price, but ultimately they wouldn’t come down to the threshold that I set for myself (my max spend and their bottom line was a $150 delta). Clearly this baby proves that sometimes it pays to hold out. I picked this up for several hundred below the seller’s listing price and well under CME’s bottom line on the other one. The seller included a really nice Gator flight case as well as the original gig bag and all the case candy.

Now for the guitar itself, I’m really digging the chiminess of the pickups, especially the neck which has just a simply fantastic Strat neck position tone when played through my Mesa with just a nudge from my Klon clone. Ergonomics are just right for me. She’s a keeper!
Never seen a better looking one! Hold that treasure tight!! Congrats!!!

I’m generally not a fan of birds on a Vela, but that top is so beautiful I barely even notice them. Wow.

I'm close to a trigger pull on the satin tobacco semi but only finding at Zzounds and AMS (and Israel lol). Anyone have good dealings with them, I've heard some horror stories?

Seems a price hike is coming soon, the signs are there for sure.

I picked up my satin tobacco semi hollow Vela from zzounds during the peak of shortages of covid. There were some issues with the guitar but zzounds made it right. I ended up preordering another PRS not long after and it arrived about when promised. That guitar was perfect and a smooth transaction. I'd order from them again.

As far as a price hike coming, I see it differnet. Prices have to correct or level off, and I see them already falling more everyday in used as new stock returns. Also, dealers are doing discounts and running sales on new gear. Prices may continue to rise in some areas but not sure how much more the guitar market can sustain as our budgets get squeezed elsewhere, stock returns, and people aren't at home looking to fill their time.

You have to remember it wasn't long ago PRS did a price hike.

He’s not wrong. Like everything else, the Price for a new/dealer advertised vela are up again. A new semi hollow is significantly more than it was 2-3 years ago, and up again from 1 yr ago. Which may have a trickle down effect on the use market. I’m not arguing against the price change. For so long this guitar has been a crazy good bargain. The nice thing about the vela is that’s it’s unchanged from its introduction. So a guitar from 2016 should sound like a guitar made in 2022, with the only difference being the paint finish. In other words, the used market is a great place to go for vela.

Last edited:
I'm close to a trigger pull on the satin tobacco semi but only finding at Zzounds and AMS (and Israel lol). Anyone have good dealings with them, I've heard some horror stories?

Seems a price hike is coming soon, the signs are there for sure.
Zzounds is where I got mine from, same color and finish just before the last price increase. I've bought many items from Zzounds with zero issue. Returns are very very easy if needed.

Also..its a Vela!!

A couple of weeks ago I was able to play a Vela for the first time! Really wanted to play a SH one, but neither dealership I visited (Daves and CME) had one in stock!! I was initially unimpressed (probably spoiled by the play-ability of my Core, WL and PS), but I was not plugged in. The chap who was helping me out made it clear that it really shines when amped (it is of course an electric guitar), so I had him hook me up and OMG, those pickups are nice!!! Sounded fabulous and I will definitely own one someday!!!! Thanks Mr. Aahzz for being the ambassador of the Vela, without all of your praise, I may have never picked one up to even try it!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago I was able to play a Vela for the first time! Really wanted to play a SH one, but neither dealership I visited (Daves and CME) had one in stock!! I was initially unimpressed (probably spoiled by the play-ability of my Core, WL and PS), but I was not plugged in. The chap who was helping me out made it clear that it really shines when amped (it is of course an electric guitar), so I had him hook me up and OMG, those pickups are nice!!! Sounded fabulous and I will definitely own one someday!!!! Thanks Mr. Aahzz for being the ambassador of the Vela, without all of your praise, I may have never picked one up to even try it!!!!!

Did somebody mention SH? To me that is the Vela to get. Sure, it feels different than my cores, especially being satin, but it's a joy to play unplugged. I took mine on vacation for this very reason. Don't get me wrong I also brought something to plug into but unplugged is a win too..

Screenshot_20220816-100405_Galleryd4159c5d8cc3d3f6.jpg

the reclaimed semi hollow sounds so nice and warm plugged or unplugged…and I love that. A Much different acoustic sound than the zach myers semi hollow which sounds much brighter.

I'm determined to buy a Vela before the end of the month. I've been waffling a bit thinking of some other guitars I do fancy, but I had a Vela and let it go, and getting one back has really just stuck in my mental craw.

Back