Dang Velas...

im3mzzcftkyh3g7lvt8s.jpg
Also the figuring on the this newly listed reclaimed on reverb is real nice :oops:
Can't suppprt the recent asking pricing nonsense

Last edited:
I think days of sub $2k reclaims has sailed. For better or worse. Its pretty much the only vela that goes up in price while others devalue super quick. I see steals listed all the time for regular velas. Even for some of the coveted original birds version if that floats your boat.

I think days of sub $2k reclaims has sailed. For better or worse. Its pretty much the only vela that goes up in price while others devalue super quick. I see steals listed all the time for regular velas. Even for some of the coveted original birds version if that floats your boat.
I think they'll go back down like everything else. Personally not worth it to me as it is now. I love my Vela but part of the appeal is the no nonsense guitar at a reasonable price. Get too high like these few recent reclaimed asking prices and there's a laundry list of core PRS I'd rather have for that sorta coin.

Last edited:
It makes sense to me the ones with birds not fetching a premium. Part of the hook of Vela is its UnPRS qualities, especially to those not loyal or a fan of the brand. I could totally see the Vela as one of those guitars bringing people over to PRS. Once you own a PRS more are sure to come..

Way I see it if they can stick birds on a Strat type they sure can on this model :p. I think the price point and simple aesthetics is what will bring guys over. Lot of fender guys do not like flashy guitars and have historically turned away from PRS for that reason. Let them try this guitar and say it ain’t good!

The only thing really holding me back from snagging that Vela is…I’m so used to the feel of my Core guitars that the S2 feels a little bit…not as special. Dig the sound though, and the neck. It’s a tough one. That thing is cool.
What’s nice about the S2’s is the flat body. When you get them broken in, you can feel every string vibration right against you. I like the feel of all my PRS for different reasons. After all, they ain’t the same for a reason!

Last edited:
What’s nice about the S2’s is the flat body. When you get them broken in, you can feel every body vibration right against you. I like the feel of all my PRS for different reasons. After all, they ain’t the same for a reason!
I much prefer the S2 body while standing...I can play all night on it especially at under 7lbs....my semi vela is around 5lbs

It makes sense to me the ones with birds not fetching a premium. Part of the hook of Vela is its UnPRS qualities, especially to those not loyal or a fan of the brand. I could totally see the Vela as one of those guitars bringing people over to PRS. Once you own a PRS more are sure to come..
I’m a PRS loyalist. I like dots and more vintage appointments of the Vela and Mira. At some point I want a semi hollow. One of those two or a Starla stoptail appeals to me.

I get the people that want them with birds though. I used to want them on everything too. I don’t mind things a little more understated these days.

So yesterday I went to my local guitar store to try a Vela semi hollow, figured I’d perhaps finally give in to the temptation and buy one. But I never got around to it. I didn’t even pick it up to try it. Just gave it one quick look from across the room.

For some reason I started messing around first with a Hollowbody II and a Zach Myers SE, models I’d previously disliked. I’d played them a couple of times before and did not get along with them at all. Well, I don’t know what the hell happened, but for some reason I totally bonded with the Zach Myers - and bought it. Oops. Been playing it non stop since. Maybe this is better than the examples I’d tried before, but man, feel-wise it’s shockingly close to my McCarty 594 Single Cut Wood Library 10 Top. Like, damn it’s good. So…still thinking about that Vela. Didn’t even give it a fair fight.

So yesterday I went to my local guitar store to try a Vela semi hollow, figured I’d perhaps finally give in to the temptation and buy one. But I never got around to it. I didn’t even pick it up to try it. Just gave it one quick look from across the room.

Hard to say you screwed up if you bonded that much with the ZM but man, you shoulda at least picked up the Vela. They’re such great guitars.

It’s here and it’s absolutely stunning.

52234134405_6c859b62a0_b.jpg

52233655316_b8b5b69b49_b.jpg

Check out the contrast with it’s reclaimee brother:

52233655311_0fc385947e_b.jpg

I had been eyeing other reclaimed Velas over the last several months, including one that Chicago Music Exchange had last month. Was going back and forth with them on price, but ultimately they wouldn’t come down to the threshold that I set for myself (my max spend and their bottom line was a $150 delta). Clearly this baby proves that sometimes it pays to hold out. I picked this up for several hundred below the seller’s listing price and well under CME’s bottom line on the other one. The seller included a really nice Gator flight case as well as the original gig bag and all the case candy.

Now for the guitar itself, I’m really digging the chiminess of the pickups, especially the neck which has just a simply fantastic Strat neck position tone when played through my Mesa with just a nudge from my Klon clone. Ergonomics are just right for me. She’s a keeper!

Last edited:

I had been eyeing other reclaimed Velas over the last several months, including one that Chicago Music Exchange had last month. Was going back and forth with them on price, but ultimately they wouldn’t come down to the threshold that I set for myself (my max spend and their bottom line was a $150 delta). Clearly this baby proves that sometimes it pays to hold out. I picked this up for several hundred below the seller’s listing price and well under CME’s bottom line on the other one. The seller included a really nice Gator flight case as well as the original gig bag and all the case candy.

Now for the guitar itself, I’m really digging the chiminess of the pickups, especially the neck which has just a simply fantastic Strat neck position tone when played through my Mesa with just a nudge from my Klon clone. Ergonomics are just right for me. She’s a keeper!
That's a hot one!

WOW!!!

that’s a phenomenal top.
Really one of the best I’ve seen online.
Great combo too. I thought about going for a reclaimed CE. But the lack of satin open pore mohagany back/neck combo is a no go for me. Gives that perfect wood feel to the reclaimed vela. How do they stack up side by side sound wise and feel?

Back